I'm back

The Preacher

I took a break from math, but I didn't forget about this place. I was just getting rid of all my World History, Biology, and English work for the rest of this year.

Uhh... so I've got to figure out the area of this triangle:

problem33em.png

B = \(\displaystyle [
2\sqrt 3
\]\)

H = \(\displaystyle \[
3\sqrt 3
\]\)

I need to find the area (A). I know to multiply the square roots, but multiplying square roots is intimidating to me, and I forgot how. It's probably simple.

Anyway, by typing random answers into the computer, I found that A=9. I still don't know how to get the answer though... so that did no good. Anyway, if someone could explain how to multiply square roots without messing up the numbers, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

God bless,
-PK

The Preacher said:
I took a break from math, but I didn't forget about this place. I was just getting rid of all my World History, Biology, and English work for the rest of this year.

Uhh... so I've got to figure out the area of this triangle:

problem33em.png

B = \(\displaystyle [
2\sqrt 3
\]\)

H = \(\displaystyle \[
3\sqrt 3
\]\)

I need to find the area (A). I know to multiply the square roots, but multiplying square roots is intimidating to me, and I forgot how. It's probably simple.

Anyway, by typing random answers into the computer, I found that A=9. I still don't know how to get the answer though... so that did no good. Anyway, if someone could explain how to multiply square roots without messing up the numbers, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

God bless,
-PK

NOTE: a raised dot · stands for "times" in math.

[sqrt](a) · [sqrt](b) = [sqrt](a·b)

If you have a coefficient, such as a and b in a[sqrt](m) · b[sqrt](n) = ab[sqrt](mn)

TchrQbic said:
If you have a coefficient, such as a and b in a[sqrt](m) · b[sqrt](n) = ab[sqrt](mn)

Alright, so... I'm multiplying \(\displaystyle 2\sqrt 3\) by \(\displaystyle 3\sqrt 3\). That would give me \(\displaystyle 6\sqrt 9\), right? Now - if I did this right - how do I turn that into a regular number (without a radical sign)?

Don't forget that the formula for the area A of a triangle with base b and height h is given by:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle A\,=\,\frac{1}{2}\,bh\)

You ask how to simplify the product of 6 and sqrt[9]. What is the square root of nine? Multiply this by the six.

Eliz.

stapel said:
Don't forget that the formula for the area A of a triangle with base b and height h is given by:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle A\,=\,\frac{1}{2}\,bh\)

:oops: The Preacher forgot that there was a 1/2 in there somewhere...

Thanks for making it so simple, Eliz. I appreciate it.