Inequalities word problem

RHSLilSweetie07

As dry air moves upward, it expands and in so doing cools at a rate of about 1C for each 100 meter rise, up to about 12 kilometers.

a)If the ground temperature is 20C, write a formula for the temperature at height "h".

b)What range of temperatures can be expected if a plane takes off and reaches a maximum height of 5 km?

I'm not sure on how to write a formula for this problem. Could someone please explain to me how to work this problem?

uh i have to say i forget how to do these, you cant expect me to remember everything from a year ago :D you should ask your teacher or wait fer someone else to come along =)

themuddaload said:
i forget how to do these...you should ask your teacher or wait fer someone else to come along
If you can't help, then please don't reply. Your "I can't help; best of luck" post makes this thread look as though it has been handled, thereby reducing the likelihood that this student will receive a reply.

Thank you for your consideration.

Eliz.

a) The base temp is 20, and this goes down by one one-hundredth of a degree for every meter in increased altitute. What then is the temperature 10 meters up? Fifteen meters? Thirty meters? "h" meters?

Follow the above reasoning to find your formula.

b) How many meters are in five kilometers? So how low will the temperature get, at its coldest? And what was the warmest temperature?

This gives you the range.

Eliz.

Is the correct answer to part a:

temperature at a given height = 20 (degrees C) - [(.01 degrees C)/m]*h?

Yes, or "T = 20 - 0.01h", with "h" measured in meters and "T" measured in degrees Celcius.

Eliz.

Are the answers to part B be 0 degrees Celsius and 50 degress Celcius? I'm not exactly sure how to solve part B .

Not quite.

If the plane takes off, and the higher it gets, the cooler the temperature gets, then the temperature can never go above 20C, right?

So that's your maximum temperature.

As for minimum temperature, think about how many meters are in a kilometer (think about the prefix "kilo"). For every 100m rise, temp. drops 1C. So find the number of meters in 5 km, divide by 100, and that will give you the total drop from ground level. Subtract that from 20 degrees and you've got it.