J.B. algebra problem!

WilliamPat

J.B. post a music video clip (A) on the internet.The total number of views can be modelled by the equation y=1500x where x is the number of days since this clip was posted and y is the total number of views.J.B. releases a second video (B) on the internet 10 days after the first.The total number of views for the second video clip can be modelled by the equation y=5123x-51230 where x is the number of days since the first clip was posted and y is the total number of views for the second video.

1) Use algebra to find the day when the total nmber of views of the second video (B) will exceed 500000.

2) Use algebra to find the value of x for which the two clips have the same total number of views

William

Last edited:
J.B. post a music video clip (A) on the internet.The total number of views can be modeled by the equation y=1500x where x is the number of days since this clip was posted and y is the total number of views.J.B. releases a second video (B) on the internet 10 days after the first.The total number of views for the second video clip can be modeled by the equation y=5123x-51230 where x is the number of days since the first clip was posted and y is the total number of views for the second video.

1) Use algebra to find the day when the total number of views of the second video (B) will exceed 500000.

2) Use algebra to find the value of x for which the two clips have the same total number of views

William

1) Which equation would you use to solve this problem?

Please share your work with us ...

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

1) Which equation would you use to solve this problem?

Please share your work with us ...

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

I think i would substitute y=500000 into the equation y=5123x-51230 and solve for x in order to find when the number of views will exceed 500000.This is the point where what i dont understand what i have to do.

William

I think i should substitute y=500000 into the equation y=5123x-51230 and solve for x in order to find the day that the video B will exceed 500000 views.But im not so sure about it.......so this is mainly the point where i stuck.

William

I think i should substitute y=500000 into the equation y=5123x-51230 and solve for x in order to find the day that the video B will exceed 500000 views.But im not so sure about it.......so this is mainly the point where i stuck.

William
You were told that "x is the number of days since the first clip was posted and y is the total number of views for the second video." and asked to "find the day when the total number of views of the second video (B) will exceed 500000." So, yes, you are told that y is 500000 and asked to find x.

William

500,000 = 5123 * x - 51230 [edit]

solve for 'x' from equation above.

Last edited by a moderator:
The equation has a minus sign y=5123x-51230 so why did you change the sign from minus to plus?Should i also change the sign?

The equation has a minus sign y=5123x-51230 so why did you change the sign from minus to plus?Should i also change the sign?

No my mistake... it should remain the "same sign" that we used in the beginning. So the equation to solve is:

500,000 = 5123 * x - 51230