My Posting Plans

mathdad

I am going to use the site for mostly applications. This does not mean that I will not post an occasional equation, geometry or trig problem. I will use youtube.com to continue with my college algebra study.

I will post distance problems in terms of the following topics:

•Traveling At Different Rates
•Traveling In Different Directions
•Given Total Time
•Wind and Current Problems

Look for more distance word problems, hopefully, on a daily basis.

I have decided to review the essentials of precalculus after my study of college algebra. I want to feel comfortable with intermediate algebra before stepping into calculus 1. My calculus 1-3 study will be FAR MORE IN DEPTH than anything else in terms of math. The objective is to get pretty good at solving calculus problems. I also want to learn linear algebra and differential equations after calculus 3.

Starting tomorrow two changes:

1. One topic per day.

2. Two questions related to the topic per day.

Starting tomorrow two changes:

1. One topic per day.

2. Two questions related to the topic per day.
What happened to the promise:

"From now on, I post questions on Tuesday only. " .......... post #14

I have decided to post no more than 3 math questions on my days off from work. In so doing, I do not have to rush through my solution steps making silly mistakes and as a result ending up with the wrong answer ... The goal is to learn each section well, to become very informed about what it is the chapter/section is teaching ...
That was a good idea.

? It still is.

As your plans are fluid, I think you ought to return to post #1 (partially quoted above) and then stick with that.

?

From now on, I will only use this site to help me with word problems, any and all word problems. Jesus! I cannot post a simple question about turning points or end behavior of polynomial functions without everyone criticizing the words of Sullivan and/or my effort at trying to solve problems learned LONG AGO. Come with me on a LONG JOURNEY into the world of word problems: algebra, geometry, trigonometry, college algebra, precalculus, and calculus. We begin with algebra word problems. Yes, I will show my effort. Good day.
Your plans are yours and should not be crticized as being personal and therefore possibly idiosyncratic.

Nor is what I am about to say meant in an unfriendly way..

One thing that math teaches is the importance of exact formulation of a problem. It is of course a skill that is important outside of math (in law, for example). Moreover, many students have difficulty in solving problems because they have not extracted the relevant information from a problem. Our concern about wording is, in part, simply trying to determine what the problem is really about. Also in part, it is to teach students to extract the full meaning from the information given. In both cases, the exact and complete language is vital. If Sullivan is sloppy and says, for example, "discrete" when what is meant is "continuous," it is a bad text. If Sullivan is careful but you are not paying strict attention to all the words used by Sullivan, then you are not taking full advantage of the text you paid for.

That was a good idea.

? It still is.

As your plans are fluid, I think you ought to return to post #1 (partially quoted above) and then stick with that.

?

Ok. I will no longer go beyond three questions at a time and not every day. Three questions on Monday and three on Tuesday is far better than clogging up the site with questions. I want to give other students the opportunity to get the help they need.

Your plans are yours and should not be crticized as being personal and therefore possibly idiosyncratic.

Nor is what I am about to say meant in an unfriendly way..

One thing that math teaches is the importance of exact formulation of a problem. It is of course a skill that is important outside of math (in law, for example). Moreover, many students have difficulty in solving problems because they have not extracted the relevant information from a problem. Our concern about wording is, in part, simply trying to determine what the problem is really about. Also in part, it is to teach students to extract the full meaning from the information given. In both cases, the exact and complete language is vital. If Sullivan is sloppy and says, for example, "discrete" when what is meant is "continuous," it is a bad text. If Sullivan is careful but you are not paying strict attention to all the words used by Sullivan, then you are not taking full advantage of the text you paid for.

I think six questions per week (3 on Monday and Tuesday) is far better than the current situation. Nothing personal taken here.

I am off tomorrow. However, I will not post math questions for the rest of May. If someone replies to questions that have already been posted, I will respond if needed. I will continue my study of college algebra at a slower pace, answering all odd number questions per section. There is no need to rush through textbooks before calculus 1.

I am not doing anymore math until next week. I want to keep my word.

I went back to my former account and username. Note: mathdad = harpazo.

I am going back to the Sullivan textbook tomorrow.

This is mathdad (now harpazo).