Need help with cancer rate calculation in humans

martinr1111

hello,

greetings from Europe, i apologize for my English grammar, it is not my first language.

Need help with how to calculate cancer rate in humans.

I am discussing this issue on other forum, there is a guy who argues, that every fifth person has a cancer. (20% of the all population worlwide)

I can't believe it, it seems too high.

I have googled a little, i have read, that 1 person out of 100 has a cancer, this is closer to what i would accept, but anyway,

is there any way how to calculate it? When you take some data from internet, there are some numbers available, like for instance

"According to estimates from the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC),
in 2012 there were 14.1 million new cancer cases and 8.2 million cancer deaths worldwide."

Today, there is 7,400,000,000 humans on Earth.

But i assume you have to count in some previous years as well. Or are more data needed in order to calculate this correctly ?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you

Martin

This won't be a matter of "calculations"; it will be a matter of counting.

I am discussing this issue on other forum, there is a guy who argues, that every fifth person has a cancer. (20% of the all population worlwide)

I have googled a little, i have read, that 1 person out of 100 has a cancer, this is closer to what i would accept...
In what time period? "Over a lifetime"? "In a given year"?

Either way, there is nothing to "calculate"; the number of cancer cases will be a total counted value, not an esoteric computed value. Its accuracy will depend upon the counting method (including only rich-world patients? including estimates for Third-World persons? etc).

hello,

greetings from Europe, i apologize for my English grammar, it is not my first language.

I have googled a little, i have read, that 1 person out of 100 has a cancer, this is closer to what i would accept, but anyway,

is there any way how to calculate it? When you take some data from internet, there are some numbers available, like for instance

"According to estimates from the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC),
in 2012 there were 14.1 million new cancer cases and 8.2 million cancer deaths worldwide."

Today, there is 7,400,000,000 humans on Earth.

But i assume you have to count in some previous years as well. Or are more data needed in order to calculate this correctly ?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you

Martin
It depends on what you what you want. If you want long term rates then you need more information. That is, the data from previous years. Still I suspect that there has not been a drastic change from a bit less than 2 in a thousand [14.1 million / 7.4 billion] to 2 in a hundred going back to previous years depending on what you are calling cancer. The National Cancer Institute says "The number of new cases of cancer (cancer incidence) is 454.8 per 100,000 men and women per year (based on 2008-2012 cases)."
http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/understanding/statistics
That is about 4.5 out of a 1000So, unless this other person is calling something cancer which the National Cancer Institute doesn't consider cancer, I think the person is mistaken. You might ask for references from the other person to find out just where they are getting their numbers.

COMMENT: Actual, I answered this yesterday but apparently it didn't take. Does anyone have any idea why we sometimes can't post?