Need help with graphing, max/mins, asymptotes, etc

Tia

I need some help with the following problems:
f(x) = x5th power - 5x4th power
f'(x) = 5x3rd power(x-4)
f''(x) = 20xsquared(x-3)
Use these to find critical values, relative maxima/minima, and points of inflection and sketch the graph.

Given y = 6xcubed / 4xsquared + 9 find any vertical and horizontal asymptotes
An inferior product with a large advertising budget sells well when it is introduced, but sales fall as people discontinue use of the product. Suppose that the weekly sales S are given by S = 200t / (t +1)squared when t is greater that or equal to 0. Where S is in millions of dollars and t is in weeks.

Thank you so much for your help.

Don't post a laundry list of problems. What have you done on these? Where are you stuck?

I am sorry about posting so many. I have no idea how to do any of these, which is why I am asking for the help. I have tried to go into the book and find ones that are similar to these and have had no luck.

Thank you

Tia said:
I am sorry about posting so many. I have no idea how to do any of these, which is why I am asking for the help. I have tried to go into the book and find ones that are similar to these and have had no luck.

Thank you

Why do you need help in a hurry?

Tia said:
I have no idea how to do any of these...
If you really have "no idea" how to approach these, then I'm afraid you need greater assistance than we can offer. The volunteers here can help students work through exercises, but that assumes that the student knows the background material to a degree sufficient to be able to take advantage of the hints and suggestions offered.

On the other hand, it sounds as though you need lessons. Please consider the following:

. . . . .FreeMathHelp: How to Determine Critical Points

. . . . .FreeMathHelp: Derivative of a Polynomial

. . . . .FreeMathHelp: Factoring to Find Vertical Asymptotes

. . . . .FreeMathHelp: Finding Horizontal Asymptotes

. . . . .Paul's Online Notes: Finding Absolute Extrema

. . . . .Paul's Online Notes: The Shape of a Graph

Once you have learned the basic concepts and techniques, please attempt these exercises. If you get stuck, please reply showing how far you were able to get. At that point, we'll be able to help you work your way toward the answers.

Note: The word-problem exercise doesn't actually contain a question. Are you supposed to find the domain of the function? Find the maximizing budget? Find the maximal sales? If you get stuck on that one, please include the full text of and instructions for that exercise when you reply.

Thank you.

Eliz.

Eliz. Said:
Note: The word-problem exercise doesn't actually contain a question. Are you supposed to find the domain of the function? Find the maximizing budget? Find the maximal sales? If you get stuck on that one, please include the full text of and instructions for that exercise when you reply.

This is all that was given.......Sorry for taking up all of your time trying to help.

stapel said:
The word-problem exercise doesn't actually contain a question.
Tia said:
This is all that was given.
Well, that makes that one easy: Just tell the instructor that the exercise didn't actually ask for anything.

You can't answer questions they didn't get around to asking. :wink:

Eliz.