Order of Operations

Butter

The question is 2 + 3 x (-6)
I never learned how to do BEDMAS with integers.
What are the steps to solving this question?
Please help so I can figure out the rest of the questions myself.
Thanks

The question is 2 + 3 x (-6)
I never learned how to do BEDMAS with integers.
What are the steps to solving this question?
Please help so I can figure out the rest of the questions myself.
Thanks
BEDMAS is a convention that applies to all numbers. So what does BEDMAS say to do first?

Please use * for multiplication sign: 2 + 3 * (-6)

Do same way as: a + b * (-c)

Or, if you are staying within arithmetic order of operations (not using any variables, for example),
you might consider using using \(\displaystyle "\times," \ \) as in:

\(\displaystyle \ 2 \ + \ 3 \ \times \ (-6)\)

Or, you might consider just eliminating the multiplication sign (asterisk or other) altogether and type it as:

\(\displaystyle 2 \ + \ 3(-6)\)

Isn't it PEMDAS not BEMDAS were talking about Parenthesis Exponents Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction

2 + 3 * (-6) = 2 + (-18) = 2 - 18 = -16

Answer would be -16 to the problem, cause there is really nothing to evaluate in the parenthesis, as there is only one number and no exponents.

Last edited:
Isn't it PEMDAS not BEMDAS were talking about Parenthesis Exponents Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction

2 + 3 * (-6) = 2 + (-18) = 2 - 18 = -16

Answer would be -16 to the problem, cause there is really nothing to evaluate in the parenthesis, as there is only one number and no exponents.
In the UK it seems to be called BEDMAS, which is the term used by the original poster. Furthermore Jason, we are really not into giving answers; that seldom let's someone master a subject and is no help when a student has to take a test.

First we use the brackets in BEDMAS. However, in the bracket there is a negative integer. What do I do with the negative integer? Do I change it into a positive? This is the part I am mostly confused with.

Thanks everyone for helping. Denis, thank you for clarifying the steps to me.

The first two steps are entirely wasted. They just took you back to the start! This does not teach anyone how to think properly about it.

If your purpose was to hijack an old thread to advertise your site, you have only shown its lack of value.