ordered pairs: find 5 ordered pairs for the equation: y=3x-1

please help me find 5 ordered pairs for the equation: y=3x-1
What is the value of y when x = 0?

y = 3 * 0 - 1 → y = -1

So the one of the ordered par could be (0, -1)

Now continue...

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

Last edited by a moderator:
What have you tried? Where are you stuck? For instance, you picked a random value for x, plugged it into the equation, simplified to find the corresponding value of y, wrote down that ordered pair, and... then what?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

It might help if you understood that all your pairs look like \(\displaystyle (x,y)=(x,3x-1)\).
Now pick five values for \(\displaystyle x\) and simply use them in \(\displaystyle (x,3x-1)\).

this is fairly simple really, first you have to determine the domain of the function. Seeing that there are no restrictions then the domain of this particular function is ALL REAL NUMBERS. So all you have to do is substitute any real number for x, which will be the x-ordinate. after simplifying the equation, solve for y, the solution for y will be the y-ordinate. now that you have the x-ordinate and y-ordinate, you have an ordered pair (x,y).

You need to understand in words what this equation says (at least in my opinion). It says to get y you triple x and then subtract 1 So you pick a value for x, triple it and subtract 1. Now you have your 1st ordered pair. Continue....

To find an ordered pair, pick an x value. Plug it into the equation. Find a y value. (x,y) is an ordered pair.