Percentage Problem: John earns 50% of Karen's salary. Karen earns 80% of Andrew's salary....

razakazmii

John earns 50% of Karen's salary. Karen earns 80% of Andrew's salary. If the total salary of the three for a month is Rs: 22,000, how much did John earn that month?

I can't find an appropriate formula or method to solve this question. Can somebody help me with the solution of this problem?

John earns 50% of Karen's salary. Karen earns 80% of Andrew's salary. If the total salary of the three for a month is Rs: 22,000, how much did John earn that month?

I can't find an appropriate formula or method to solve this question. Can somebody help me with the solution of this problem?
What is Andrew's salary? We don't know? Well, then maybe we should call it something so we can talk about it.

A = Andrew's Salary.

Now what?

There is no mention of Andrew's salary, and this questions tells us the total salary of three people as 22,000. I divided 22,000 by 3, and accordingly solved it, but still the answer does not come right.

There is no mention of Andrew's salary, and this questions tells us the total salary of three people as 22,000. I divided 22,000 by 3, and accordingly solved it, but still the answer does not come right.
Which means you didn't really solve it! A solution is a number that makes it come out right.

Do you know algebra? Did you try treating Andrew's salary as a variable and writing an equation?

If you don't know any algebra, we could work out a way to solve it anyway; but this is one reason we want to know what you have learned, in order to help you in a way that is suitable for your needs.

No, I did not treat Andrew's salary as a variable. I'd be really glad if you walk me through the process of answering this question.

Hint:

John earns 50% of Karen's salary.

J = .5K

Karen earns 80% of Andrew's salary.

K = .8A

If the total salary of the three for a month is Rs: 22,000,

J + K + A = 22000

how much did John earn that month?

J = ?