Probability Question with Win, Lose and Tie: P(win)=0.4, P(loss)=0.35, and P(tie)=0.2

tathagata7

Adam plays a game in which there are three outcomes: win, loss, and tie. For each game, let P(win)=0.4, P(loss)=0.35, and P(tie)=0.25. Of Adam plays the game 2 times, what is the probability that he will win the first game and NOT tie the second game?

I need help i solving this problem and in coming up with the answer: .30

The probability Adam will win the first game is 0.4

And not tie the second game is .75 is where I've gone so far.

Thank you,

Carrie

Adam plays a game in which there are three outcomes: win, loss, and tie. For each game, let P(win)=0.4, P(loss)=0.35, and P(tie)=0.25. Of Adam plays the game 2 times, what is the probability that he will win the first game and NOT tie the second game?

What did you get when you did the tree diagram (here)? You started with one dot for his starting place, and drew three branches, each labelled with "win", "lose", or "tie", along with the appropriate percentage. Then, from each of these, you drew another three in the same way. And... then what?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

Thank you so much :-D . I drew the tree diagram and understand now. This was very helpful in visualizing it.

Win .40 (.4 x .4 = .16)
Win .40 ------------Lose .35 (.4 x .35 = .14)
Start Lose .35 Totals: .30
Tie .25

What did you get when you did the tree diagram (here)? You started with one dot for his starting place, and drew three branches, each labelled with "win", "lose", or "tie", along with the appropriate percentage. Then, from each of these, you drew another three in the same way. And... then what?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

Thank you,

Carrie
Whoever gave you this problem expects you to know that "if A and B are independent events, the probability both A and B will occur in a specified way is the probability that A occurs in the specified way times the probability that B occurs in the specified way: P(A and B)= P(A)*P(B)".