• Welcome! The new FreeMathHelp.com forum is live. We've moved from VB4 to Xenforo 2.1 as our underlying software. Hopefully you find the upgrade to be a positive change. Please feel free to reach out as issues arise -- things will be a little different, and minor issues will no doubt crop up.

probability question

cmelliott

New member
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
1
The chance that doctor A will diagnose disease X correctly is 60%. The chance that a patient will die by his treatment after a correct diagnosis is 40% and the chance of death by wrong diagnosis is 70%. A patient of doctor A, who had disease X died. What is the chance that his disease was diagnosed correctly?
 

tkhunny

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
9,706
A tree might help.


Has the disease. This is not disputed.

Correct Diagnosis 60% -- No Correct Diagnosis 40%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, consider just the Correct Diagnosis: (60%)

Death any way: 40% (I presume you don't actually mean that the treatment itself killed the patient.) -- Survival: 60%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, consider just the Missed Diagnosis: (40%)

Death: 70% -- Survival: 30%

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what do we know and how can we answer the question? Bayes might help.
 
Top