Problem of the Week

Panos

Hello everyone.

Whenever I enter some forums, theres always a vibe that you get, just by looking around some of the boards and what not. I credit you on having such a friendly community, and great to be apart of it. Thankyou.

Anyway, how about the idea of a "Problem of the Week?" Ill run it myself, provide the questions and the answers and the winners. If it's been done before, I won't. Maybe, if successful, ill develop it for different age groups, and maybe a scoring system? Many will ask why I do this, but it's something I enjoy doing, to be honest. Ted, take your time to decide, and, if you want my idea to go ahead, which I believe this site will benefit greatly from, just reply with a yes or no. I will not be offended if you decide to reject the idea.

Thankyou for your time,

P@no$.

Denis said:
Who the heck is Shutruk-Nakhkhunte ?

From Wikipedia:

Shutruk-Nakhkhunte was king of Elam from about 1185 to 1155 BC, and the second king of the Woahshut Dynasty. Elam amassed an empire that included most of Mesopotamia and western Iran. Under his command, Elam defeated the Kassites and established the first Elamite Empire, which proved to be very short-lived as Nebuchadnezzar I of Babylon conquered Elam around 1120 BC, bringing the empire to an end.

Shutruk-Nakhkhunte gained a small public exposition in Ethan Canin's short story "The Palace Thief", and its adaptation in the 2002 movie The Emperor's Club, in which one of the key elements is a tablet describing the exploits of Shutruk-Nakhkhunte, a once famous egomaniacal conqueror virtually unknown today.

Panos said:
... how about ... a "Problem of the Week?"

Hello Panos:

You certainly need no permission to post a weekly problem; I suggest using the "Math Odds & Ends" board.

(Of course, if you want to include web-site related features, then Ted will need to get involved.)

How about a sample run? I'm game.

Cheers,

~ Mark :)

What happened to the sample math problem?

I see that this thread was copied to the Math Odds & Ends board, but the original poster's sample problems do not appear there, either.

:(

MY EDIT: Something is goofy. When I click on the thread by the same name which still appears in the Administrative board's list, I'm taken back here to the Math Odds & Ends board. Perhaps, the original poster's previous post got lost during the screw-up.

MY SECOND EDIT: Nevermind -- I found the sample problems split. However, the issue with duplicate listing in the Administrative board's index remains.

mmm4444bot said:
...the issue with duplicate listing in the Administrative board's index remains.
I'm afraid that's how the "Move" thing works: if a bookmark is left in the original location, then there will be two listings for the same one thread.

Eliz.

Re:

stapel said:
if a bookmark is left in the original location, then there will be two listings for the same one thread.
You're saying "if"; so what if it's NOT left there; can't someone remove it?

Denis said:
You're saying "if"; so what if it's NOT left there; can't someone remove it?
That the one thread is listed in two places indicates that the forum is tracking the new location. I have no found any way to "delete" this tracking, once in place. (And, as an earlier post within this thread indicated, it can be helpful to provide that tracking, as otherwise one may have difficulty in locating the desired information.)

If anybody is aware of a way of deleting or hiding this tracking information (for when the tracking is accidentally left "on" or when it is clearly no longer needed), I'd appreciate the info. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Denis said:
Perhaps delete the original post and advise poster by PM ?
If the original post is deleted, the thead (in its new location) will be missing its initial post. The only way to make the links to the thread disappear is to delete the thread. (I tried once... though that was on an earlier version of the forum script....)

Eliz.