problem solving: Lindy sold her guitar online the location charges 35% of the first

mongo33

I am having difficulty finding the missing step in italics bold
Lindy sold her guitar online the location charges 35% of the first $500 of the selling price and 20% of the amount over $500. After these charges were deducted from the selling price, she received $745. For how much did the guitar sell?
I can't find where to apply an appropriate formula after reaching the $920 point. Thank you for time with this.

Lindy sold her guitar online the location charges 35% of the first $500 of the selling price and 20% of the amount over $500. After these charges were deducted from the selling price, she received $745. For how much did the guitar sell?
I can't find where to apply an appropriate formula after reaching the $920 point. Thank you for time with this.
What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

I can't find where to apply an appropriate formula after reaching the $920 point.
How did you arrive at "the $920 point"? Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

working the problem

The first step I apply is 35% of $500. Multiplying both numbers to equal $175 then adding to the total amount to equal $920. I get stuck after this point. The workbook answer reads the answer to be $1025 yet the only number I can find to multiply by the additional percentage cost is the $920. The workbook answer provides a way to the remaining amount of $525 to be multiplied by 20%, but I cannot find the third step to reach the ideal amount to apply the remaining percent to equal an additional $105 to get the correct answer.

How did you arrive at "the $920 point"? Please be complete.
The first step I apply is 35% of $500. Multiplying both numbers to equal $175....
I think you mean that you multiplied 0.35 and $500 to obtain $175, being 35% of "the first $500 of the selling price".

...then adding to the total amount to equal $920.
What did you "add to the total amount to equal $920"? What was the source of the "$920"? Where did this come from? How does it relate?

Please reply showing all of your work and reasoning. For instance, you took the hint, provided earlier, and let "x" stand for "the total selling price", so "x - 500" is "the amount over $500". You then noted that what she received was the total selling price, less the fee for the first $500 (which you've already determined was $175) and less the fee for "the amount over $500", which is given as being "20% of the amount over $500". You created an equation using this information, and... then what?

Please be complete. Thank you! :wink:

Let the selling price = P

P - [500*.35 + (P - 500)*0.2] = 745

Solve for 'P'

The source of the $920 came from mistakenly adding 500*.35 to the total $745. I am unclear as to how to arrive at P-500 but I'll go and think on it till I arrive at the oh moment. Thanks for your help.

Nevermind Hallsofivy provided the piece I was missing. My oh moment is moving to fast then. Again thanks for the help.