Q on SAT prep test: finding turn-out for parade

ulrichsk8ter

hey guys. I just finished taking another S.a.t practice test and i must say, it had the most random question and answer on it. The question reads as follows:

Code:
                  number registered
      Population     for parade
dogs       300          200
cats       400          100
other      200           50
the table shows the number of animals that live in bridgeville and the number registered to walk in the parade. 10% of the animals that live in bridgeville actually walked in the parade. If the turnout is defined as the number of animals who actually walked in the parade divided by the number that were registered, then what was the turnout?

thats not the most difficult problem in the world. i solved it quick enough but, to my surprise, i found a very strange answer. If you were looking for the turnout of animals to a parade you would look for a whole number correct? the actual answer as most of you could figure out is .2571 give or take a decimal. How can .2571 pets come to a parade or am i reading the info wrong. It just bothered me seeing as it was an SAT prep question. Will the SAT really put such an ambiguous number in the grid in section? Oh yes, im sorry if this is in the wrong place. It seemed like basic enough work to me so i placed it here. thanks guys.

This is just a case of "their definition is not your definition." Though most won't agree, I can define the height of a person to be the number cats they own divided by their grandfather's age. I've only heard of "turnout" referred to as 'good' or 'bad', so I can't say which definition sounds better to me.

It makes good sense to me - 25.71% - of the registered pets turned out in the parade.