What is happening to this site

JeffM

Elite Member
For the past two weeks, I was unable to post. Obviously the problem, whatever it was, is now gone, for which I am grateful. I had, however, no clue how to communicate the problem. Is there an email address for reporting connection problems?

For the past two weeks, I was unable to post. Obviously the problem, whatever it was, is now gone, for which I am grateful. I had, however, no clue how to communicate the problem. Is there an email address for reporting connection problems?
That would be good idea. I am starting a conversation with you and Mark and other moderators and I am going to share my e-mail address. I would not how to ameliorate your problem - but at least we can get in touch with each other beyond the forum.

That would have been a great solution if I had been able to connect.
When that happens to me (i.e., the site won't load using any of my devices or ISPs), I go to the library. But even that's not foolproof. Ted's server has blocked the library's WIFI-assigned IP address before, too. Same at school.

dunno.gif

[imath]\;[/imath]

What is happening to the forum? I visit the site. I start to answer a question, hit preview, and am locked out for hours, sometimes days.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Hi Jeff. I regularly get booted, followed by the server blocking my IP address for at least 30 minutes. Some time ago, Ted had discovered an issue with the server's security software, but I don't know whether that's still the issue. The problem (whatever the current reason) is more than ten years old, and it's very intermittent (sometimes seeming to come in waves). I've never been blocked as long as you've mentioned, however. (More often, my usernames have simply disappeared!)

When you say 'locked out', do you mean the pages won't load (blank browser screen), or is it that your login attempts fail? Can you try accessing from a different IP address?

?

[imath]\;[/imath]

I visit the site. I start to answer a question, hit preview, and am locked out for hours, sometimes days.

Is anyone else having this problem?
I have something similar happen from time to time, several times recently; typically I have written an answer, hit Post, and get the orange thingies telling me it's working, but it never goes anywhere, and if I try a different browser, or anything like that, it doesn't respond. So I've learned just to leave the tab as it was for an hour or two, trying to post occasionally, and eventually it will go through. I haven't experimented lately because I don't expect anything I do to have an effect.

I tend to remain permanently logged in.

Two different things seem to happen: one is what Dr. Peterson says happens to him, namely nothing happens when I hit f(x), or preview, or post. The other is message from the browser that the site will not load.

I will try logging out and logging back in.

I tend to remain permanently logged in.

Two different things seem to happen: one is what Dr. Peterson says happens to him, namely nothing happens when I hit f(x), or preview, or post. The other is message from the browser that the site will not load.

I will try logging out and logging back in.
Hi Jeff,
This occurred happen recently for me as well. I suspect that when you keep trying to hit "Post" for that one specific thread that's causing the issue, it will lock you out again and again. Try posting in another thread first before going back to the one that's causing you the problem. This seems to fix it for me.

Hi Jeff,
This occurred happen recently for me as well. I suspect that when you keep trying to hit "Post" for that one specific thread that's causing the issue, it will lock you out again and again. Try posting in another thread first before going back to the one that's causing you the problem. This seems to fix it for me.
I’ll try that. Thanks.

I suspect that when you keep trying to hit "Post" for that one specific thread that's causing the issue, it will lock you out again and again. Try posting in another thread first before going back to the one that's causing you the problem. This seems to fix it for me.
It just happened again to me. After not responding, it seemed as if the site were down; I tried just opening another question or the site itself, in another tab or even another browser, and it got no response at all. Posting in another thread is not possible when you can't even get into the site.

After maybe an hour I was able to open the site in the new tab, then I went back to the original where I still had my answer open, hit Post, and it went through.

Ted's flaky server finally accepted my contribution (instead of repeatedly giving me his boot). All I needed to do was try six times, wait a couple hours and switch devices. Woo Hoo! Today must be my lucky day! :D

[imath]\;[/imath]

Ted's flaky server finally accepted my contribution to this thread (instead of repeatedly giving me his boot). All I needed to do was try six times, wait a couple hours and switch devices. Woo Hoo! Today must be my lucky day! :D

[imath]\;[/imath]
Try using "ProtonVPN", Otis, it's FREE! ? and that's the only way I can get in these days! ?

The 'server' has permanently blocked my IP. it would appear (for well over a week now!), so I'm forced to sneak in using a fake one.

Ted's flaky server finally accepted my contribution to this thread (instead of repeatedly giving me his boot). All I needed to do was try six times, wait a couple hours and switch devices. Woo Hoo! Today must be my lucky day! :D

[imath]\;[/imath]
Your mistake is you did not try the Hokie-Pokie. I do that every morning and turn myself around........

I guess that arrow in the 2nd line where you squared the expression is in fact an equal sign. It is also invalid. When you square an expression it equals the expression only when the expression is 0 or 1. Note sqrt(144) = 12.

NOTE: I tried submitting this post hours ago but the site was not working for me.
I've found that the connection in the corner is a bit ragged sometimes.

-Dan

Same here. I was kicked off four times yesterday, before I could preview my text and post it.

[imath]\;[/imath]
The strange thing is that I was able to make that post above on my other computer but not this one. It seems to be a problem with the cache. I did not clean out my cache and I am able to post again.