Simplifying complex fraction: -0.02 / 3 + (8/W)

Krack

Hi can you please look at the below complex fraction and see if I simplified it correct

-0.02 / 3 + (8/W)

I first did the bottom part which resulted in.

3W + 8 / W

Then, I have attempted to simplify the complex fraction part by flipping the reciprocal.

-0.02 3W + 8 -0.06W + -0.016
------- * --------- = --------------------
1 W W

Can you help me out please where I have made mistakes?
Thank you.

-0.02 / 3 + (8/W)
We do division before addition, so your typing above means this:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{-0.02}{3} + \dfrac{8}{W}\)

Therefore, you need to show that -0.02 is being divided by the sum 3+8/W. In other words, you need to type grouping symbols around the denominator (3+8/W), to force a change to the Order of Operations.

-0.02/(3 + 8/W)

I first did the bottom part which resulted in

3W + 8 / W

Again, you need show that 3W + 8 is the numerator; otherwise, the Order of Operations says to divide 8 by W first.

(3W + 8)/W

Then, I have attempted to simplify the complex fraction part by flipping the reciprocal.

Do not flip the reciprocal!

Multiply -0.02 by the reciprocal, instead

-0.02 3W + 8 -0.06W + -0.016
------- * --------- = --------------------
1 W W
Did you notice that your equation above appears as garbage? (If not, you ought to start using the Preview Post button, before submitting your posts, so that you can see how your typing will appear on the boards.)

Did I tell you yesterday that you cannot "draw" ratios at this site? The forum software removes repeated spaces; if you're going to insist on drawing ratios anyway, then you need to use code tags. (See the FAQ.)

I think it is easier to type it as text:

-0.02/1 * W/(3W + 8)

Okay, show us what you get, when you multiply -0.02 by the reciprocal of (3W+8)/W.

:idea: You could show your instructor two ways, by changing the decimal fraction to rational form, first:

You know that -0.02 = -2/100 = -1/50, yes?

This makes the original expression:

(-1/50) / (3 + 8/W)

When you simplify this compound expression to a single ratio, what do you get? :cool:

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, I need to be more careful with my typing, I will keep that in mind.

-0.02/1 * W/(3W + 8)

If I multiply be reciprocal, I would get this?

-0.02W/(3W+8)

Is that correct?