• Welcome! The new FreeMathHelp.com forum is live. We've moved from VB4 to Xenforo 2.1 as our underlying software. Hopefully you find the upgrade to be a positive change. Please feel free to reach out as issues arise -- things will be a little different, and minor issues will no doubt crop up.

Third-Party Image Hosting Sites: A WARNING

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmm4444bot

Super Moderator
Staff member
Posted URLs to imgur sites are not allowed in this forum. We cannot control inappropriate content which imgur adds to many of its hosting pages.

Do not post URLs to the imgur site. (Try BBC image tags, instead; see below.)

Tinypic is problematic, as well. My latest experiences show that members/guests are at risk of downloading malware or commercial nonsense, by intentionally or accidentally clicking on fake, pop-up warnings about their device. I'm certain people also agree that we don't appreciate aggressive advertising, which opens additional (sometimes hidden) instances of their browser to start video/audio advertising.

Do not use the tinypic site here at all.

Do not use the postimage site, either.
Similar to imgur, some of the postimage pages display degrading images of women.

https://imgbb.com/ is a good choice for hosting images in this forum. Their pages do not violate the Forum Rules. (Additional information about imgbb appears in post #3 below.)

Please choose an appropriate image-hosting site devoid of extraneous images, advertising or links to third-party sites. It's best to try inserting the image with \(\displaystyle \text{[im}\text{g]}\) and \(\displaystyle \text{[/im}\text{g]}\) tags versus posting an URL. This may result in only your image being displayed, with no clickable path to the hosting site. To use images at the imgur site, img tags are required.

After your image posts, ensure that it is not a clickable link to a page with added material from third parties which could violate freemathhelp forum policy. Such images will be removed without notification.

The forum guidelines contain additional information about attaching images to posts.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation, in helping us to keep the boards a safe, family-friendly, professional environment.

stapel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anybody know of a site that is currently "safe" to use? Thank you! ;)

mmm4444bot

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find this hosting site useful: https://imgbb.com/

You may register an account there, but it's not necessary. (I haven't checked for benefits of registering.)

Currently, there's no advertising.

imgbb doesn't add third-party images to their pages.

imgbb doesn't seem to reduce thumbnails very much. In the examples below, the image in landscape mode was reduced, while the one in portrait mode was not.

It is not problematic (as is often the case with hosted images) to enlarge the displayed image, by clicking it.

While there is a loss of resolution in the reduced display, imgbb provides a button for users to download the original file. This allows viewing at full resolution. (For most math-related graphics, a slight loss of resolution should not be an issue.)

Here are examples. I uploaded two images from my computer to imgbb, and then I selected the link-option titled, "BBCode full linked", to copy each link for pasting in this post. (Simple steps; took all of four minutes.) Everything displays well, yet more detail in the painting is visible, by clicking the thumbnail (enlarged image opens in new tab). If you click the enlarged view, the view enlarges even more. If you'd like to see the original resolution (a noticeable improvement), use the download button. :)

This is an oil painting I saw at a recent visit to the Charlie M. Russell Museum, in Great Falls, Montana.

The blurry text below is my fault; I didn't pay attention to holding the camera properly, for text shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.