• Welcome! The new FreeMathHelp.com forum is live. We've moved from VB4 to Xenforo 2.1 as our underlying software. Hopefully you find the upgrade to be a positive change. Please feel free to reach out as issues arise -- things will be a little different, and minor issues will no doubt crop up.

Word problem using Bayes' theorem.

Linty Fresh

At an electronics plant, it's known from past experience that the probability is 0.86 that a new worker who has attended the company's training program will meet his production quota, and that the corresponding probability is 0.35 for a new worker who has not attende the company's training program. If 80% of all new workers attend the training program, what is the probability that

(a) a new worker will not meet his production quota
(b)a new worker who does not meet his production quota will not have attended the company's training program?

I got (a) easily enough:

P(Q|T)=0.86
p(Q|T')=0.35
P(T)=0.80

So the first branch on our way to get P(Q) is P(T) x P(Q|T) = 0.8 X 0.86 = 0.688

and the second branch is P(T') X P(Q|T') = 0.2 x P(Q|T') = 0.2 x 0.35 = 0.07

To get P(Q), we add 0.688 and 0.07 to get 0.758, so P(Q') = 1 - 0.758 = 0.242.

But how do I get (b)? How does one get P(T'|Q') from any of this? OK, what if I did this:

P(Q'|T')= P(Q') x P(T'|Q')/P(T') . . . but how do I know P(T'|Q')? I know I'm missing something that's right in front of me. Is it something to do with P(T'?Q')?