Xenforo seems to have changed

Otis

Elite Member
I don't recognize the current layout; many system icons seem to have changed appearance and/or moved.

Did Ted update the forum software witbout telling anyone?

:confused:

I don't recognize the current layout; many system icons seem to have changed appearance and/or moved.
I agree. I really do not like the new placement of the Preview tab.
Moreover, I have no luck in posting any of the usual LaTeX markups.
What is neeeded in order to use LaTeX?

Beer soaked reaction follows.

:confused:
Probably.
I saw Ted as one of those who were online about 4 or 5 hours ago.
Incidentally, where is the new placement of the Preview tab?
Could someone please post a screenshot?
I can't seem to find it anywhere on my phone.

Last edited:
I like the new position of "preview" button - you can click on the button without scrolling down all the way.

However, other changes (location of font-list etc.) were unnecessary - I think.

It is in the upper most righthand corner of the reply page.
I like the new position of "preview" button - you can click on the button without scrolling down all the way.

However, other changes (location of font-list etc.) were unnecessary - I think.
Is it that magnifying lens on top of the paper (whose upper right corner is folded) icon?
20210711_065925.jpg
Test LaTex follows.
`1/2`

Even the backquotes mode of LaTex has been disabled.

I agree. I really do not like the new placement of the Preview tab.
Moreover, I have no luck in posting any of the usual LaTeX markups.
What is neeeded in order to use LaTeX?
Oh, so that's why my edit posted instead of previewed.

-Dan

[MATH]\dfrac{1}{2}.[/MATH] LaTeX works for me.
I'm confused about how preview works. [MATH]\dfrac{1}{2}[/MATH] doesn't show up as formatting when I click the button. Same with backquotes, `1/2`. But the former does work when I post.

Hi guys!

For security reasons I had to push an upgrade to Xenforo Saturday morning. I expect there will be some slightly differences but I was hopeful it would be mostly transparent. Please post descriptions of changes that have occurred and perhaps we can try to mitigate.

Beer inspired idea follows.

Another "way" to preview a post might just to hit post and see the previewed form, copy the post and delete it within 5 min.

I'm afraid to say - my way of previewing is to use another site and preview it there. (Maybe I shouldn't say that out loud)!
For me, the preview is a very important feature for checking latex math. Yesterday I had to post with mistakes, and then correct during the "5/ 30 min edit time", as suggested in post#12. Please prioritise getting this working again.

But, on a positive note, I very much like the idea of switching between separate preview and edit views. (Kind of like tabs to switch the view in a window). It keeps the display less cluttered rather than the previous "stack" mode where both are shown above each other on the screen at the same time.

And, because the change was done for security reasons, then I completely understand why the upgrade had to be done in a hurry! Thanks for hosting/ and managing this site (directed to the person/ team that does it, possibly just @Ted )!

Trying a different plug-in for the moment. This one seems to provide a much better live preview functionality but it uses KaTeX instead of Mathjax. I don't know much about KaTeX so I am curious if there are any rendering issues. Note the new toolbar icon is f(x) rather than the old calculator icon. You can either use the toolbar icon (which has its own live preview feature) or enter manually using the following codes:

Code:
\(x^2\)
produces [imath]x^2[/imath] inline
Code:
[math]x^2[/math]
produces [math]x^2[/math] as a block
Code:
[imath]x^2[/imath]
produces [imath]x^2[/imath] inline
Code:
$$x^2$$
produces [imath]x^2[/imath]
Code:
`x^2$`
produces `x^2`
Code:
[tex]x^2[/tex]
produces \(\displaystyle x^2\) inline

Last edited:
@jonah2.0 Your backwards single quote thingy is working again
Not really. Now it does LaTeX, rather than asciimath as it used to. That is, 1/2 sqrt(2) in backquotes should produce `\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{2}`, but now it just makes `1/2 sqrt(2)`.

Not really. Now it does LaTeX, rather than asciimath as it used to. That is, 1/2 sqrt(2) in backquotes should produce `\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{2}`, but now it just makes `1/2 sqrt(2)`.
Gotcha - it's definitely not processing asciimath correctly at the moment. There are also issues with capitalization if you use the [MATH] BBCODE[/MATH]

Last edited:
How's it working for you now?

I have a weird setup going at the moment where the ` will produce asciimath using mathjax while everything else uses KaTeX. It's probably not ideal but it should work. However -- asciimath will not preview correctly nor will it show immediately after you make a post. You'll have to do a full reload of the page to make it work. But, it's something.