YOU KNOW MATH: WHY FREE TUTORING?

harpazo

I will never understand for the life of me why the great tutors we have here do not make money tutoring in their local areas. I, on the other hand, am not ready to tutor high school students, for example. I can tutor grades 1 to 8 but knowing grades 9 to 12 is what I consider to be a qualified tutor.

When I learn high school math sufficiently well, I will try math tutoring in my local area to make much needed extra cash on my days off. If you are financially set, perhaps you do not need extra cash. More power to you.

I do not think there is anything better in life than making money doing what we enjoy. Why are you not a paid math tutor? Please explain. Tell me your story.

topsquark

I do have a tutoring business. On the other hand I rarely get customers even though I offer free GED help. I did tutor.com for a while and didn't like the format.

For my part I enjoy helping others. If I enjoy it so much why does it matter than I am not payed for it?

-Dan

Addendum: This is technically a Math-like question but these sort of comments/questions are probably better answered on Facebook or something.

harpazo

I do have a tutoring business. On the other hand I rarely get customers even though I offer free GED help. I did tutor.com for a while and didn't like the format.

For my part I enjoy helping others. If I enjoy it so much why does it matter than I am not payed for it?

-Dan

Addendum: This is technically a Math-like question but these sort of comments/questions are probably better answered on Facebook or something.
I decided to post about tutoring because there are truly gifted tutors here. I just want to understand the free part. In your case, you like helping others. It does not matter if money involved or not.

tkhunny

Staff member
I did tutor.com for a while and didn't like the format.
tutor.com disagreed with me on the definition of "Educationally Sound". My definition was much more flexible.

harpazo

tutor.com disagreed with me on the definition of "Educationally Sound". My definition was much more flexible.
Why are you tutoring for free? I think talented people should be paid for their time and effort.

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
So you'd never consider volunteering to use your abilities to help other people? You've never felt good about being useful without being paid?

harpazo

So you'd never consider volunteering to use your abilities to help other people? You've never felt good about being useful without being paid?
Let me tell you something. All I ever do is help others and get grieve for it . Although I do ask for math help here, I help students with math, YES, I SAID MATH, online for grades 3 to 8. Not ready for high school tutoring just yet. I do not know what you are talking about. If I had your skills, I certainly would not be working as a museum guard.

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
I said nothing about whether you help anyone with math. I'm just a little surprised that you would think people should never do things for free:
Why are you tutoring for free? I think talented people should be paid for their time and effort.
In fact, I was using irony: I suspect that you do believe in helping people, and have enjoyed doing so!

harpazo

I said nothing about whether you help anyone with math. I'm just a little surprised that you would think people should never do things for free:

In fact, I was using irony: I suspect that you do believe in helping people!
I help FOR FREE all the time. It depends on financial status. Living CHECK TO CHECK is very difficult. Know what I mean, professor?

topsquark

I help FOR FREE all the time. It depends on financial status. Living CHECK TO CHECK is very difficult. Know what I mean, professor?
Oh I don't know. Considering that I have bipolar disorder and PTSD and live "check to check" on disability because I can only hold down a regular job for at most two weeks at a time and I still volunteer here and other sites I think I am qualified to make a comment. I don't believe that Dr. Peterson is berating you in any way and I can't see any circumstance that he would. Otherwise he would probably act as ignorant about me the same way you are accusing him of being with you. There's much more to life than a paycheck and he seems to be telling you that. Nothing he has said negates anything that you have said.

I want to add this: Helping people for free does not depend on financial status, otherwise I would be unable to work on any help site.

-Dan

tkhunny

Staff member
Really, I get paid when a student gets it. $$ is not why I'm here. Someone asks; I help. Just the way it works. Everywhere and any time I possibly can.

harpazo

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

MarkFL

Super Moderator
Staff member
I enjoy helping people, but I also enjoy doing on my own time, only when I want, and only those problems/projects I want to do.

harpazo

I enjoy helping people, but I also enjoy doing on my own time, only when I want, and only those problems/projects I want to do.
Makes sense.

harpazo

I wish I had your math skills. The main problem that keeps me from tutoring high school students is my struggle to create an equation(s) from applications. If I could somehow "master" this particular skill (it is a skill that separates math tutors and teachers from pretenders), I could then work in my local ghetto community where math tutors for grades 9 to 12 are in great demand. I can use the extra cash. This does not mean that I would not help students for free here. See my point?

tkhunny

Staff member
Also, I have often replied to unreasonable demands with something like, "If you demand an immediate answer or if you wish to control the nature of the engagement, you should consider hiring a service to meet your needs." Out here, I can take my time, answer what I feel like answering, and, if necessary, tell a questioner that he/she is behaving unreasonably.

harpazo

Thank you everyone for your input.

Jomo

Elite Member
What makes you think that no one on this site does tutoring for cash on the side? I am certain that this is done. At the end of the day we have some exta time and help out. There is nothing wrong with that.
Whenever I ask a question I am extremely polite and always thank the person for helping me because I know that they are doing this during their free time. And I respect that!

Otis

… I think talented people should be paid for their time and effort …
… I help students with math, YES, I SAID MATH, online for grades 3 to 8 …
I help FOR FREE all the time … Living CHECK TO CHECK is very difficult. Know what I mean, [Dr. Peterson]?
… I can use the extra cash … See my point?
Hello harpazo. Assuming that you're a successful online tutor, I ask you: Why are you not tutoring basic arithmetic to grade school students in your local community, for extra cash? You could be paid for your time and effort; you don't have to help for free "all the time", and you don't have to wait until you've learned high school algebra to begin helping with grade 3-6 homework, for example.

💡