My Journey With Mathematics

… I think talented people should be paid for their time and effort …
… I help students with math, YES, I SAID MATH, online for grades 3 to 8 …
I help FOR FREE all the time … Living CHECK TO CHECK is very difficult. Know what I mean, [Dr. Peterson]?
… I can use the extra cash … See my point?
Hello harpazo. Assuming that you're a successful online tutor, I ask you: Why are you not tutoring basic arithmetic to grade school students in your local community, for extra cash? You could be paid for your time and effort; you don't have to help for free "all the time", and you don't have to wait until you've learned high school algebra to begin helping with grade 3-6 homework, for example.

?

What do you think about the free app called Photomath? Simply take a picture of your math problem, and instantly get a step by step reply. I do not know if it also works in terms of pictures of word problems. What do you say?

Last night I purchased the Humongous Book of Algebra via amazon.com. I searched through the book online before buying. It's pretty easy to grasp. I also plan to buy his Humongous books on geometry, trigonometry and calculus. The problem is that his calculus book only covers calculus 1 and 2.

I will wait to receive the Kelly book before proceeding with the basics of determinants and their properties. I am not trying to learn linear algebra. This would be silly on my part. Currently in section 8.2 in the Sullivan textbook.

BTW, I understand how to use Cramer's Rule for equations of two variables and three variables but the rest of the section is a bit fuzzy. Kelly's book will help to clarify properties of determinants. I will not proceed with Sullivan until the Kelly book arrives in the mail.

9781592577224_p0_v2_s.jpg.cf.jpg

Hello Math Friends. How in the world are you? Unfortunately a bad situation has come my way. I need to solve this important matter before the year ends. I am depressed, sad, lost for words, etc.

As soon as I find a new location, I will come back to this great site and enjoy mathematics with the wonderful, professional, and intelligent teachers and tutors here. We must be ready to handle any curve balls that come our way. This news hit me like a ton of bricks but I must press forward. I will be back here after solving my housing issue.

Hello Math Friends. How in the world are you? Unfortunately a bad situation has come my way. I need to solve this important matter before the year ends. I am depressed, sad, lost for words, etc.

As soon as I find a new location, I will come back to this great site and enjoy mathematics with the wonderful, professional, and intelligent teachers and tutors here. We must be ready to handle any curve balls that come our way. This news hit me like a ton of bricks but I must press forward. I will be back here after solving my housing issue.
To paraphrase my favorite poet: If winter comes - spring cannot be far behind.

Hello math friends. How in the world are you?

Here is a quick update.

1. I move to my new room on 10/17.

2. Be back with math this weekend. About to step into partial fraction decomposition.

3. Please read about CIRS below. Tell me what you think. There's gotta be someone here that knows how to prepare for retirement and old age. You see, I did not prepare for the future 30 years ago and now I'm paying the price. I also believe it's never too late.

READ BELOW:

Employees hired after 2016 are fully vested in the museum pension plan (CIRS) after 5 years of service. Employees leaving the museum or terminated before 5 years are not entitled to the pension. However, working 5 or more years at the museum DOES NOT MEAN a huge pension is the reward.

Today, I was given an estimate of the amount I would receive after completing 10 years of employment. According to the CIRS representative, the total monthly pension amount for employees after completing 10 years is about $400 on a monthly basis (BEFORE TAXES). Also, CIRS has absolutely no connection to the 401k plan. Before getting involved in the 401k, employees are strongly suggested to take a crash course on stocks and bonds and how to properly invest for the future.

This is frightening news!! Looking for suggestions and tips. What is the best way to safe for retirement? Does anyone here know? Thanks.

Stocks and Bonds are very risky. There is nothing "safe" about them. If you are into that sort of risk, then I wish you success. If, one day, the value of your investments drops 40% from what is was the day before, don't say I didn't warn you. That's amazingly ironic that you are to take a "crash" course. I laughed. Anyway, find a way to do it with no transaction fees!!

Why would you want a 401(k) plan to START at retirement? That makes no sense. The idea is to build an untaxed asset leading to retirement. Since there is no Company Match, this isn't nearly as attractive as it should be.

You didn't say how retirement is to go if you become part of the museum.

Stocks and Bonds are very risky. There is nothing "safe" about them. If you are into that sort of risk, then I wish you success. If, one day, the value of your investments drops 40% from what is was the day before, don't say I didn't warn you. That's amazingly ironic that you are to take a "crash" course. I laughed. Anyway, find a way to do it with no transaction fees!!

Why would you want a 401(k) plan to START at retirement? That makes no sense. The idea is to build an untaxed asset leading to retirement. Since there is no Company Match, this isn't nearly as attractive as it should be.

You didn't say how retirement is to go if you become part of the museum.

You said:

"You didn't say how retirement is to go if you become part of the museum."

What do you mean? I have been working at the museum for 15 months. I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about retirement and the best choice to make that will secure my future. I am 54 and will be, God willing, 55 in April 2020. I live a check to check lifestyle. I have less than 1000 dollars in my checking account. I am scared, worried and dying with anxiety.

If you are old enough, maybe they'll turn you into a display. ;-)

Please plan to work till you are 70+.

According to present law, your SS annuities will be maximum at that point. Do not even think about touching SS before that!

Budget and Save at least 15% of your income. I know it is easier said than done - but in your situation you have to do it! Cut expense ruthlessly - every purchase you make - you need to ask the question "Do I really NEED it?"

Please plan to work till you are 70+.

According to present law, your SS annuities will be maximum at that point. Do not even think about touching SS before that!

Budget and Save at least 15% of your income. I know it is easier said than done - but in your situation you have to do it! Cut expense ruthlessly - every purchase you make - you need to ask the question "Do I really NEED it?"

You are great. Thank you so much. I will budget beyond compare.

Hello harpazo. Here's some information from AARP. The Social Security Administration averages your highest 35 years of earnings on record, to determine your benefit amount at retirement. (Earnings up to age 60 are indexed to wage inflation; later earnings are recorded at their actual amount.) If your earnings in a year after age 70 are higher than those in the lowest-earning year already in your record, then the new year will knock out the old one in their calculations and your benefit check at retirement will be higher.

Also, the SSA website has various calculators, to help estimate how much your retirement check will be, once your claim. The quick-and-easy version does not require you to input a lot of information, but its estimate is rough. A better estimate is obtained by using the calculator that requires you to enter annual gross earnings for each of your highest 35 years of employment. The SSA website also allows you to view the earnings amounts recorded for each year in your social security account to date, so you can also check for mistakes or omissions.

As Subhotosh mentioned, delaying your claim for social security until you reach age 70 will increase your monthly check amount. For example, a person who starts collecting social security at age 66 with a $1300 monthly benefit could have received $1716 instead (a 32% increase, not including any cost-of-living adjustments that might happen) had they waited until age 70 to claim.

\(\;\)

...a person who starts collecting social security at age 66 with a $1300 monthly benefit could have received $1716 instead (a 32% increase...) had they waited until age 70 to claim.
I've never been a fan of this information. It leaves out an important part that, perhaps surprisingly, is not obvious to far to many individuals. One must KEEP WORKING from 66 to 70 in order to accomplish this.

I've never been a fan of this information. It leaves out an important part that, perhaps surprisingly, is not obvious to far to many individuals. One must KEEP WORKING from 66 to 70 in order to accomplish this.
Yes .... there are caveats to this advise! It also assumes that you are going to live till you are ~80 to break-even with government. However, in many cases cash-flow is a critical situation. As you indicated this is not cure for all! Everyone needs to go through this with a spreadsheet.

But in most cases, "a healthy" customer comes out ahead by waiting!!

Hello harpazo. Here's some information from AARP. The Social Security Administration averages your highest 35 years of earnings on record, to determine your benefit amount at retirement. (Earnings up to age 60 are indexed to wage inflation; later earnings are recorded at their actual amount.) If your earnings in a year after age 70 are higher than those in the lowest-earning year already in your record, then the new year will knock out the old one in their calculations and your benefit check at retirement will be higher.

Also, the SSA website has various calculators, to help estimate how much your retirement check will be, once your claim. The quick-and-easy version does not require you to input a lot of information, but its estimate is rough. A better estimate is obtained by using the calculator that requires you to enter annual gross earnings for each of your highest 35 years of employment. The SSA website also allows you to view the earnings amounts recorded for each year in your social security account to date, so you can also check for mistakes or omissions.

As Subhotosh mentioned, delaying your claim for social security until you reach age 70 will increase your monthly check amount. For example, a person who starts collecting social security at age 66 with a $1300 monthly benefit could have received $1716 instead (a 32% increase, not including any cost-of-living adjustments that might happen) had they waited until age 70 to claim.

\(\;\)

Thank you so much. Isn't 70 too old to enjoy what's left of life after retirement?

How many people can actually work until the age of 70 without physical problems getting in the way?