My Math Goal

mathdad

Family and friends are daily criticizing my study of math. They want to know what my ultimate goal is as a middle aged man. So, I decided to share my answer to them here.

1. My number one goal is to GREATLY improve my word problems skills, particularly learning how to create equations from written, algebraic language.

2. I may or may not decide to get a part-time math tutor job working for Kaplan or Kumon or the Sylvan Learning Center, etc.

3. Even if I do not apply for a tutoring position, there are several nephews and nieces (and friends with kids) within my family that may need help, especially when math homework becomes slightly challenging for parents. I will also share this website with them.

4. I am often asked how far in math I plan to go. Here is a list of courses that I plan to study on my own with the help of this website and youtube, if possible.

COURSES TO STUDY AFTER MY COLLEGE ALGEBRA REVIEW

• Calculus 1
• Calculus 2
• Calculus 3

I have not decided between ordinary differential equations or linear algebra after multivariable calculus.

This is my goal. Your thoughts?

Note: I may decide to review pre-calculus BEFORE my study of calculus but not sure at this time. I took precalculus in the spring 1993 semester and got an A minus in the elective course. Your thoughts?

Family and friends are daily criticizing my study of math. They want to know what my ultimate goal is as a middle aged man. So, I decided to share my answer to them here.

1. My number one goal is to GREATLY improve my word problems skills, particularly learning how to create equations from written, algebraic language.

2. I may or may not decide to get a part-time math tutor job working for Kaplan or Kumon or the Sylvan Learning Center, etc.

3. Even if I do not apply for a tutoring position, there are several nephews and nieces (and friends with kids) within my family that may need help, especially when math homework becomes slightly challenging for parents. I will also share this website with them.

4. I am often asked how far in math I plan to go. Here is a list of courses that I plan to study on my own with the help of this website and youtube, if possible.

COURSES TO STUDY AFTER MY COLLEGE ALGEBRA REVIEW

• Calculus 1
• Calculus 2
• Calculus 3

I have not decided between ordinary differential equations or linear algebra after multivariable calculus.

This is my goal. Your thoughts?

Note: I may decide to review pre-calculus BEFORE my study of calculus but not sure at this time. I took precalculus in the spring 1993 semester and got an A minus in the elective course. Your thoughts?
I would certainly add trigonometry to this list.

Family and friends are daily criticizing my study of math. They want to know what my ultimate goal is ...
Hmm, our definition of 'friend' may differ. Anyway, have you tried telling them that your goal is to have fun? You're allowed to have hobbies.

... I have not decided between ordinary differential equations or linear algebra after multivariable calculus.
A few introductory concepts in linear algebra generally fall into precalculus. I would not wait until finishing calculus, to learn them. Using calculus in three-dimensional situations often involves vectors or otherwise gives rise to systems of equations with multiple variables. Linear algebra provides compact, mechanical methods to work with multiple vectors/components and linear equations using matrix forms (eg: Gauss-Jordan Elimination).

... I may decide to review pre-calculus BEFORE my study of calculus but not sure ... Your thoughts?
You've needed review of some basic fundamentals in algebra, so far. If you'd like my suggestion, it's to review some precalculus (including trigonometry), before you begin calculus. I stress preparation because the more instances of interrupting calculus lessons to review unfamiliar concepts or steps, the greater the chance you're missing the calculus.

However, your immediate goals are yours alone, and the schedule is yours to set and modify. If you dive straight into calculus and don't like the water, then go back to the prerequisites until you feel like trying again.

There's a lot of neat stuff, in precalculus.

?

I would certainly add trigonometry to this list.

I recall some trigonometry. I first saw trigonometric identities in a college math course by the name MATH 185---Algebra 2 and Trigonometry. You see, I never took trigonometry in high school. For most of my teen years, I was placed in MODIFIED classes for students with learning disabilities. This statement should help explain why I am slightly behind in mathematics. In addition, I graduated from Lehman College in 1994---long time ago. I have not been in a formal classroom in 26 years (last semester in the fall 1993).

Hmm, our definition of 'friend' may differ. Anyway, have you tried telling them that your goal is to have fun? You're allowed to have hobbies.

A few introductory concepts in linear algebra generally fall into precalculus. I would not wait until finishing calculus, to learn them. Using calculus in three-dimensional situations often involves vectors or otherwise gives rise to systems of equations with multiple variables. Linear algebra provides compact, mechanical methods to work with multiple vectors/components and linear equations using matrix forms (eg: Gauss-Jordan Elimination).

You've needed review of some basic fundamentals in algebra, so far. If you'd like my suggestion, it's to review some precalculus (including trigonometry), before you begin calculus. I stress preparation because the more instances of interrupting calculus lessons to review unfamiliar concepts or steps, the greater the chance you're missing the calculus.

However, your immediate goals are yours alone, and the schedule is yours to set and modify. If you dive straight into calculus and don't like the water, then go back to the prerequisites until you feel like trying again.

There's a lot of neat stuff, in precalculus.

?

I took pre-calculus in the spring 1993 semester and got an A minus. Of course, this is 26 years ago. I may jump into the essentials of pre-calculus before calculus 1. I have an excellent textbook by David Cohen that includes trigonometry, polar coordinates, matrix algebra, mathematical induction and additional topics that students should know before calculus 1.

As far as my family and friends, they know that math is just a hobby for me. They cannot understand why math is a hobby. Why not bike riding? Why not go back to playing guitar? Why not painting? Why not dating? Dating??? I pass.

That rings a bell...are you also Harpazo from MHB? Not that it matters much...
except that too many posts creates confusion...

... As far as my family and friends, they know that math is just a hobby for me.
And yet they criticize you daily for choosing it. Something motivates that kind of behavior.

?

What is Harpazo??? Ice cream???

... mathematics started in the 6th century BC (Pythagorean mathematics) ...
You must mean something else. People were doing mathematics much earlier than that. Have you heard of the Rhind Papyrus? It shows ancient Egyptian mathematics (dated between the 16th and 15th centuries BC). There are earlier examples.

?

And yet they criticize you daily for choosing it. Something motivates that kind of behavior.

?

Irrationality and lack of common sense motivates that behavior. I mean, what is so odd about a lonely, middle aged man who has not dated in years for different reasons and somehow find intellectual pleasure in the world of numbers?

Why do you dwell in the vicinity of troublemakers? If you dislike my posts, feel free to block me indefinitely.

Why do you dwell in the vicinity of troublemakers? If you dislike my posts, feel free to block me indefinitely.
All I asked is "are you the same person"?
I'll comply with your request. Good luck...

All I asked is "are you the same person"?
I'll comply with your request. Good luck...

I have nothing personal against you. I can do without the jokes and criticizing my effort to succeed in terms of numbers. Why is it important for you to know if harpazo is me or not? What if I am harpazo? I am just having fun with mathematics.

I recall some trigonometry. I first saw trigonometric identities in a college math course by the name MATH 185---Algebra 2 and Trigonometry. You see, I never took trigonometry in high school. For most of my teen years, I was placed in MODIFIED classes for students with learning disabilities. This statement should help explain why I am slightly behind in mathematics. In addition, I graduated from Lehman College in 1994---long time ago. I have not been in a formal classroom in 26 years (last semester in the fall 1993).
Lehman college is top notch!

Yep, this is definitely him.
But let's leave him alone. He's just trying to learn math and found a home here. I do have one question to ask--why was he banned from the other site?

I do have one question to ask--why was he banned from the other site?

That's really a private matter from another site. If mathdad wishes to discuss it here that's okay as far as I'm concerned, but he needn't feel obligated to do so. :)