A bag contains 3 red, 4 white, 5 green balls...

Kulla_9289

A bag contains 3 red, 4 white, 5 green balls. Three balls are selected without replacement. Find the probability that the three balls chosen are:
a) all red
b) all green
c) one of each colour

My answers:
a) 1/40
b) 1/8
c) 13/60

Thanks in advance.

A bag contains 3 red, 4 white, 5 green balls. Three balls are selected without replacement. Find the probability that the three balls chosen are:
a) all red
b) all green
c) one of each colour

My answers:
a) 1/40
b) 1/8
c) 13/60

Thanks in advance.
Please show your work, so we can see what errors you are making.

In your tree, you appear to be selecting only two balls, not three; and your denominator drops from 12 to 10 after selecting the first.

1650724529456.png

Can you explain your thinking there? I think you may have just omitted the second set of branches.

Also, you seem to be misinterpreting "one of each color"; what you are adding appears to be the probabilities of "all the same color".

Yep, I understood and fixed that. How would you do "one of each color" then?
You'd need to make a new tree. For the first pick, you would start out the same as the previous tree, but this time, the second and third picks are a different colour so that you have one of each colour from all 3 picks.

Yep, I understood and fixed that. How would you do "one of each color" then?
Do you know any methods other than making a tree? If you know about permutations, that could provide a quicker way.

But with a tree, you'll want to add up the probabilities of all outcomes that have one of each color. Show us your corrected tree if you need help with this.

I saw a medium in my further mathematics book, but we haven't studied that yet. Yeah, I did it, and I have gotten 3/11. Is that correct?

I saw a medium in my further mathematics book, but we haven't studied that yet. Yeah, I did it, and I have gotten 3/11. Is that correct?
Yes, the answer is 3/11.

Just for fun, I'll tell you how I got that number without a tree!

There are 6 different ways to order three colors. (This is called 3 factorial, or the permutations of 3 items, but you could just count: RWG, RGW, WRG, WGR, GRW, GWR.) For each order, you can choose the R in 3 ways, the W in 4 ways, and the G in 5 ways, for a total of 6*3*4*5 ways to choose one from each color. Divide this by the total number of ways to choose three of the 12 balls, which is 12*11*10 (this is the permutations of 12 taken 3 at a time), and you get the probability as
[math]\frac{6\cdot3\cdot4\cdot5}{12\cdot11\cdot10}=\frac{3}{11}[/math]