Area of a larger star

Scarlett

The areas of two regular five-pointed stars vary as the square of the distance between two consecutive points. If one star has an area of 3.6 square inches and the distance between its points is 1/2 as great as that of a larger star, what is the area of the larger star?

How do I proceed -- Could I start with a ratio such as 3.6/x= 1/2^2. I'm not sure where to begin.

You are correct. The area of the larger star must be 4 times the area of the smaller one.

I still need to show the steps to the problem. I'm not sure if I understand what I am do to next.

Scarlett said:
The areas of two regular five-pointed stars vary as the square of the distance between two consecutive points. If one star has an area of 3.6 square inches and the distance between its points is 1/2 as great as that of a larger star, what is the area of the larger star?

How do I proceed -- Could I start with a ratio such as

3.6/x= 1/2^2.

I'm not sure where to begin.

Start by defining 'x' inthe equation above and then solve for 'x'.

What about 3.6/x = 1/2^2
3.6/x = 1/4
x - 14.4 sq. inches

I know this works out, but is it the right answer? Something seems missing.

Scarlett said:
What about 3.6/x = 1/2^2
3.6/x = 1/4
x - 14.4 sq. inches

I know this works out, but is it the right answer? Something seems missing. <<<< Yes - what is 'x'?.

X is the area of the larger star.
I'm sure about the math that I did, but not sure if the problem was set up correctly.