Calculate the sum of digits of powers of 2: Let s_2(n) denote sum of digits in base-2 expansion of n

safwane

Let [imath]s_2(n )[/imath] denote the sum of the digits in the base-2 expansion of n.

Then my question is how one calculate [imath]s_2(2^{m}),m≥1[/imath]. Here m is a positive integer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let [imath]s_2(n )[/imath] denote the sum of the digits in the base-2 expansion of n.

Then my question is how one calculate [imath]s_2(2^{m}),m≥1[/imath]. Here m is a positive integer.
What are you studying? What ideas do you have, from your context?

I would start by writing out the first few such numbers (m=1,2,3) and seeing what you find. Unless I'm misunderstanding the problem, you'll find it's a lot easier than it looks. Never just stare at a problem; do something!

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the sum of the digits of 10m in base 10.
How about the sum of the digits of 4m in base 4.
How about base 7?
Dr Peterson is correct, that this a lot easier than it looks. In fact it is one of the easiest problems I have seen in a while. All you have to do is learn how to write powers of 2 in base 2. Hint: 22 = 102