Calculus Area between curve and x-axis: curve y=a+bx+cx^2 drawn through (-h,y_1),(0,y_2),(h,y_3); find a,b,c in terms of y_1,y_2,y_3,h, and...

reggiwilliams

I am revising Calculus at present and area between curve and axis.
Came across this question which involves integration but not sure how to prove
Can anyone assist pleaseIMG_5918.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am revising Calculus at present and area between curve and axis.
Came across this question which involves integration but not sure how to prove
Can anyone assist please
First task is to calculate the values of a, b & c .

You are given co-ordinates of three points. Using those co-ordinates calculate the equation of the curve passing through those three points.

Please show your work.

So I get b=y1-y3/2h and c =3y^3-2y^2-y1/h^2
Where do I go from there?
You're missing some parentheses.
b = (y1-y3)/(2h)

c isn't correct. You shouldn't have any square or cube terms in the numerator.

Use the underscore to denote subscripts e.g. y_2

After that, you can set up the integral and then integrate.

No matter I do can’t get to answer Hate this question
First, [imath]y_1 - y _3 = -2bh \implies b = \dfrac{y_1-y_3}{-2h}[/imath]

It follows [imath]c = \dfrac{y_1-2y_2+y_3}{2h^2}[/imath]

I didn't catch the negative sign from [imath]b[/imath]. The rest should flow through and things will cancel.

I’m sorry but even following your calculations for b and c still can’t arrive at answer given for area
Could I please ask you for your full workings so that I can understand where I have gone wrong

I’m sorry but even following your calculations for b and c still can’t arrive at answer given for area
Could I please ask you for your full workings so that I can understand where I have gone wrong
I suggest that you first integrate the original function (using a, b, and c) from -h to h and write an expression for the area in terms of a, b, c; then replace those with the expressions you were given for them.

It looks like you swapped y2 and y3 in the last term in the first line of your work (and in your previous work). Use the expressions in #14.

Then show us all of your work (starting after we got expressions for a, b, c, so we can check for errors (and you can, too).

[math]\int_{-h}^h y_2 +\left(\dfrac{y_3-y_1}{2h}\right)x + \left(\dfrac{y_1-2y_2+y_3}{2h^2}\right)x^2 \, dx[/math]
[math]=y_2x +\left(\dfrac{y_3-y_1}{4h}\right)x^2+\left(\dfrac{y_1-2y_2+y_3}{6h^2}\right)x^3 \biggr\rvert_{-h}^{h} \\ =\left[ y_2h +\cancel{\left(\dfrac{y_3-y_1}{4h}\right)h^2}+\left(\dfrac{y_1-2y_2+y_3}{6h^2}\right)h^3\right] - \left[ -y_2h + \cancel{\left(\dfrac{y_3-y_1}{4h}\right)(-h)^2}-\left(\dfrac{y_1-2y_2+y_3}{6h^2}\right)h^3\right] [/math]
[math]=\left[h\times \dfrac{6y_2+y_1-2y_2+y_3}{6}\right] - \left[h \times \dfrac{-6y_2-y_1+2y_2-y_3}{6}\right][/math]
[math]\dfrac{h}{6} \left[\left(4y_2+y_1+y_3\right)-(-4y_2-y_1-y_3)\right] = \dfrac{h}{6}(8y_2+2y_1+2y_3)= \dfrac{h}{3}(4y_2+y_1+y_3)[/math]

Note that the result differs from the claim in the problem, which lacked a coefficient of 4.

The correct result amounts to Simpson's Rule for n=2.

I confirmed it in Desmos:

My workings are shown and clearly answer should be h/3(4y2+y1+y3) No wonder I could never prove answer given in question
Thanks so much for your help
Hopefully I won’t get such a tricky question in my exam

[math]\int_{-h}^h y_2 +\left(\dfrac{y_3-y_1}{2h}\right)x + \left(\dfrac{y_1-2y_2+y_3}{2h^2}\right)x^2 \, dx[/math]
[math]=y_2x +\left(\dfrac{y_3-y_1}{4h}\right)x^2+\left(\dfrac{y_1-2y_2+y_3}{6h^2}\right)x^3 \biggr\rvert_{-h}^{h} \\ =\left[ y_2h +\cancel{\left(\dfrac{y_3-y_1}{4h}\right)h^2}+\left(\dfrac{y_1-2y_2+y_3}{6h^2}\right)h^3\right] - \left[ -y_2h + \cancel{\left(\dfrac{y_3-y_1}{4h}\right)(-h)^2}-\left(\dfrac{y_1-2y_2+y_3}{6h^2}\right)h^3\right] [/math]
[math]=\left[h\times \dfrac{6y_2+y_1-2y_2+y_3}{6}\right] - \left[h \times \dfrac{-6y_2-y_1+2y_2-y_3}{6}\right][/math]
[math]\dfrac{h}{6} \left[\left(4y_2+y_1+y_3\right)-(-4y_2-y_1-y_3)\right] = \dfrac{h}{6}(8y_2+2y_1+2y_3)= \dfrac{h}{3}(4y_2+y_1+y_3)[/math]
Thanks so much for your help