Can i do the quadratic formula with decimals?

§łəəpyØwł

Hi, I don't exactly know if I can do the quadratic formula with decimals, and if anyone could help me out and explain if you can or can't I would really appreciate you doing so! My equation is .5x²+9x+3.2=0
Thank you in advance!!?

Hi, I don't exactly know if I can do the quadratic formula with decimals, and if anyone could help me out and explain if you can or can't I would really appreciate you doing so! My equation is .5x²+9x+3.2=0
Thank you in advance!!?
YES - you can use quadratic equation here.

Thank you in advance!!
Or, you could multiply both sides of the equation by 10 and solve [imath]5x^2 + 90x + 32 = 0[/imath]. It gives the same answers.

-Dan

Can you use fractions in the quadratic formula? .5 = 1/2, 9 = 9 and 3.2 = 32/10

Why not try plugging in the decimals into the quadratic formula, get the x values that you are unsure will be correct or not and then test them to see if the function gives you zero when you plug in these x-values?

You post makes me think that you don't know what information you get from the quadratic formula. Can you please explain what is the meaning of the x-values from the quadratic formula ?

For the record, I would not plug in decimals into the quadratic formula as it will be too messy for me. I would do as topsquark suggest and clear out those decimals

Take two linear factors (that you know the zeros for)multiply them together, set it equal to zero, then divide by say 10. Now try using the quadratic formula.

For example, the zeros of (x-2)(x-3) are 2 and 3. Set (x-2)(x-3) = x^2 - 5x + 6 =0. Now divide both sides by 10. (1/10)(x^2 - 5x + 6) = .1x^2 - .5x + .6 = 0. Try using the quadratic formula and see if you still come out with x=2 and x=3