Can someone tell me why I'm wrong?

bushra1175

1592439609376.png

Here is what I did:

5 divided by 13 is 0 remainder 5, therefore this makes 5 the first positive number that is congruent to 5 (mod 13)

I followed this example from the slides I'm learning from -> 1592439799805.png

According to the slide, all numbers congruent to -1 is + or - 3, so I applied the same logic to my original problem and kept adding 13 to 5 until I got 5,18,23,28,33

What am I doing wrong?

According to the slide, all numbers congruent to -1 is + or - 3, so I applied the same logic to my original problem and kept adding 13 to 5 until I got 5,18,23,28,33

What am I doing wrong?

You say you added 13 each time. But what is 18 + 13? It isn't 23!

After the first, you seem to have added 5.

Check your work after you write it!

You say you added 13 each time. But what is 18 + 13? It isn't 23!

After the first, you seem to have added 5.

Check your work after you write it!
Oh wow. How embarrassing lol. Thanks for pointing that out. I don’t know how I didn’t see it.

Don't think that I haven't done the same once or twice. You get one number in your mind (in this case, the starting number), and it sticks. Which is, of course, why I emphasize checking! Just pretend you're a teacher grading your work, rather than you trusting yourself.

Don't think that I haven't done the same once or twice. You get one number in your mind (in this case, the starting number), and it sticks. Which is, of course, why I emphasize checking! Just pretend you're a teacher grading your work, rather than you trusting yourself.
Yes but most mortals made this mistake much more than 1 or 2 times!