Can't solve this equation ,pls help

AndreH383

Hello guys, I just started studying irrational functions and I'm stuck at this equation. The solutions say the result is X=1 but I can't seem to get there.
16227591223276198260745546342966.jpg

Try squaring both sides. Then isolate the term that has the square root to one side of the equation and square again.

You should see one solution that works without doing any work. The question is are there two solutions that work.

Reactions: lex
Hello guys, I just started studying irrational functions and I'm stuck at this equation. The solutions say the result is X=1 but I can't seem to get there.
View attachment 27622
There are several typical mistakes people make on these, so we can't tell which one you're making without seeing your work (in some detail).

That's a big reason we ask you to show work:

Just out of interest

[MATH]\sqrt{2x-1}=1-\sqrt{x-1}[/MATH]
[MATH]\sqrt{x-1}[/MATH] shows that [MATH]\boxed{\;x≥1\;}[/MATH]
[MATH]\sqrt{2x-1}=[/MATH]1-[MATH]\sqrt{1-x}[/MATH] means [MATH]2x-1≤[/MATH]1 [MATH]\text{ so }\boxed{\;x≤1\;}[/MATH]
[MATH]x≥1 \text{ and } x≤1 \text{ so } x=1.[/MATH]
Now check to see if x=1 is a solution of the original equation - which it clearly is.

Last edited:
View attachment 27622
Following Jomo's advice:

√(2x-1) = 1 - √(x-1) .............(1)................ square both sides

(2x-1) = 1 + (x-1) - 2*√(x-1) ................. simplify

2√(x-1) = 1 - x ........................................... square both sides

4(x-1) = 1 + x^2 - 2x .............................simplify

x^2 - 6x + 5 = 0 ......................................factorize

(x - 5)(x - 1) = 0 ....................................... two solutions: x = 5 and x = 1

Assuming √ is always positive → x\(\displaystyle \ \ne \\\)5 ............... here x=5 is an extraneous solution (created due to 'squaring')

The other solution: x = 1 satisfies the given equation (#1).

Hence the solution is x = 1.

The method shown above will always produce a solution, if solution/s exist (along with - may be - extraneous solution, which you need to discard). Although Lex's method in response #4 is very clever and concise, it is difficult to 'see' for some problems. ......................edited

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of interest

[MATH]\sqrt{2x-1}=1-\sqrt{x-1}[/MATH]
[MATH]\sqrt{x-1}[/MATH] shows that [MATH]\boxed{\;x≥1\;}[/MATH]
[MATH]\sqrt{2x-1}=[/MATH]1-[MATH]\sqrt{1-x}[/MATH] means [MATH]2x-1≤[/MATH]1 [MATH]\text{ so }\boxed{\;x≤1\;}[/MATH]
[MATH]x≥1 \text{ and } x≤1 \text{ so } x=1.[/MATH]
Now check to see if x=1 is a solution of the original equation - which it clearly is.
Simply brilliant!

Reactions: lex
The method shown above will always produce a solution (along with - may be - extraneous solution, which you need to discard).
Subhotosh, sorry but that is simply not true. As you said, maybe with an extraneous solution. That implies, since we have a quadratic equation, that there may not be any extraneous solutions which implies that there can be two solutions. If there can be two solutions, then there will be an equation that has NO solutions.
Always be careful when you say will always.
This error really deserves some corner time to think about this!

I suppose it is good to practise thinking skills by trying to look at things differently. (It's also fun)!

[MATH]\sqrt{1-2x}=[/MATH]1-[MATH]\sqrt{1+x}[/MATH]
so [MATH]1-2x≤1[/MATH] i.e.[MATH] \boxed{\;x≥0\;}[/MATH]
[MATH]1-\sqrt{1+x}=\sqrt{1-2x}≥0[/MATH]
so [MATH]\sqrt{1+x}≤1[/MATH], so [MATH]\boxed{\;x≤0\;}[/MATH]
[MATH]x=0[/MATH] is the only possible solution, but clearly is not a solution of the original equation.
Therefore, no solution.