Construction layout: Will 2 semicircles with d=28-11/16" fit in wood 48" wide, 96" long?

JulioSlim

I’m on a small job in Mexico and need some brain help please.
I’m buying a very expensive piece of wood that is 48” wide by 96” long.
I need to cut two identical perfect semicircles that measure 28-11/16” in diameter.

Will they fit?

I’m on a small job in Mexico and need some brain help please.
I’m buying a very expensive piece of wood that is 48” wide by 96” long.
I need to cut two identical perfect semicircles that measure 28-11/16” in diameter.

Will they fit?

What did you see, when you drew the rectangle and then tried drawing the half-circles inside the rectangle?

No graph paper and no practice wood I can draw on.

this is why I’ve asked for assistance.

Are you sure it is the diameter, not the radius you need? Because a full circle of that diameter fits at least twice in 96"x48".
But if it is the radius, then you can fit two such semicircles in 89" x 48" board, i.e, it can be even 7" shorter.

No graph paper and no practice wood I can draw on.

this is why I’ve asked for assistance.

Who said anything about graph paper? Just draw and label the rectangle. It doesn't even have to be "accurate" or "to scale"; the drawing is just holding numbers for you.

Code:
drawing:

|<---------96"--------->|
+-----------------------+--
|           |           | ^
|           |           | |
|           |           |48"
|           |           | |
|           |           | v
+-----------+-----------+--
|<---48"--->|<---48"--->|

Then do some simple division, subtraction, comparison:

28-11/16" < 29"
29" < 48"
2*29" = 58"
58" < 96"

Will the half-circles fit? (Or, if that's too complicated, will two smaller rectangles, 29-by-14.5, fit within the large rectangle?)

I've attached an illustration, but you probably don't want touching semicircles, just to be on a safe side.

Attachments

• c2.png
    c2.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 4