Could somebody please help me with this one identities problem?

sillyrascal

This question looks like it should be super easy but I’ve been scratching my head at it for an embarrassingly long time. I might just be sleep deprived (or stupid) but it won’t work for me. We’re supposed to “solve each equation for x in the interval [0, 2π).” I’ve learned about the half-angle formula and the substitution method but I’m not really getting anywhere. If somebody could help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

• EED016DE-4FA1-4B13-B2A1-22131BE5C6F3.jpeg
    EED016DE-4FA1-4B13-B2A1-22131BE5C6F3.jpeg
    827.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 63894968-8B81-47B2-951B-51BA6C8D8990.jpeg
    63894968-8B81-47B2-951B-51BA6C8D8990.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
This question looks like it should be super easy but I’ve been scratching my head at it for an embarrassingly long time. I might just be sleep deprived (or stupid) but it won’t work for me. We’re supposed to “solve each equation for x in the interval [0, 2π).” I’ve learned about the half-angle formula and the substitution method but I’m not really getting anywhere. If somebody could help me out, I would really appreciate it.
Please take a "snap-shot" of your pdf and post it as a picture. Some of us are unwilling to open pdf file from an unknown source.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

Think how you could factorize the denominator.

I would use double-angle for [imath]\cos(x)[/imath] to simplify the left-hand side. That would give you a quadratic to work with.
[math]\cos(x)=\cos(2\cdot\frac{x}{2})[/math]