Decay function

Mrtinkles

Hello, I am struggling to undertand how to start with this question mainly what goes where and then what to do from there?
For part a the formula is N=N0 × 2^-t/T.
So T = 5568
N0 = 3.00 × 10^-11% ?
How do I know what t is?

The basis for dating archaeological finds is that there has been a constant proportion of atmospheric 14^C. Atmospheric carbon exists as three forms - the stable isotopes 12^C (which constitutes 98.89% of atmospheric carbon) and 13^C (1.11%), and the radioactive form 14^C, which makes up 1.00 × 10^-10 % of the atmospheric carbon. The carbohydrate produced by plants, and consumed by plant- and meat-eaters, has approximately the same composition of the three isotopes of carbon as the atmosphere. But when a plant or animal dies it stops incorporating new carbon and the proportion of 14^C within the soft tissues and skeletons begins to decline.

The half life of 14^C is T = 5568 years, and the radioactive decay of 14C can be modelled using the formula N=N0 × 2^-t/T where t is time.

(a) How old is an archaeological find that has been shown to have 14C equivalent to 3.00 × 10^-11% of the total carbon? Give your answer to 2 sig. figs.

(b) The instruments used to determine the age of an archaeological find are accurate to the percentage of 14C reached after 55000 years. What is this percentage to 2 sig. figs?

(c) Given the decay formula, we should get a straight line by plotting log10N on the y-axis against t on the x-axis. If we were to do this, what would be the value of the intercept of the y-axis and what would the gradient be? Give the units in both cases.

[MATH]N = N_0 \cdot 2^{-t/T}[/MATH]
[MATH]\dfrac{N}{N_0} = 2^{-t/T}[/MATH]
[MATH]\log\left(\dfrac{N}{N_0}\right) = \log\left(2^{-t/T}\right)[/MATH]
[MATH]\log\left(\dfrac{N}{N_0}\right) = (-t/T)\log(2)[/MATH]
[MATH]\dfrac{T}{\log(2)} \cdot \log\left(\dfrac{N}{N_0}\right) = -t[/MATH]
[MATH]\dfrac{T}{\log(2)} \cdot \log\left(\dfrac{N_0}{N}\right) = t[/MATH]
note ...

the original percentage of Carbon 14 is [MATH]N_0 = 1 \times 10^{-10} \text{ %}[/MATH]
the percentage of Carbon 14 after [MATH]t[/MATH] years is [MATH]N = 3 \times 10^{-11} \text{ %}[/MATH]
[MATH]T = 5568[/MATH]

Thanks, what did you do at step 3/4 to get = (-t/T)log(2) ?
and the next step also

Thanks, what did you do at step 3/4 to get = (-t/T)log(2) ?

power property of logs ...

[MATH]\log(a^b) = b\log(a)[/MATH]
and the next step also

algebra ... multiplied both sides by [MATH]T [/MATH] and divided both sides by [MATH]\log(2)[/MATH] to isolate [MATH]-t[/MATH]
After reviewing most of your recent posts on this site, I wonder if you have received any instruction regarding the properties of logarithms and using them to solve exponential equations.

Thanks, I've been watching log videos most of the day.

Are you able to tell me how to work out part c?

Are you able to tell me how to work out part c?

start from the 3rd step in post #2 ...

[MATH]\log\left(\dfrac{N}{N_0}\right) = (-t/T)\log(2)[/MATH]
use the division property of logs on the left side of the equation, then algebraically isolate [MATH]\log(N)[/MATH]

Thanks that's very helpful. I really struggle with maths but it just doesn't come to me like it seems to with others, which is a shame because I actually find it really interesting.

I tried to work it out like this

log( N/N0) = log(N) - log(N0)

log(N) - log(N0) = (-t/T) log(2) ............................ +log(N0)

log(N) = (-t/T) log(2) + log(N0)

log( N/N0) = log(N) - log(N0)

log(N) - log(N0) = (-t/T) log(2) ............................ +log(N0)

log(N) = (-t/T) log(2) + log(N0)

did you finish up with this last question?

If we were to do this, what would be the value of the intercept of the y-axis and what would the gradient be? Give the units in both cases.