defining rational expressions

jhawk555

Determine the value or values of the variable for which:

. . .(x - 3) / (x^2 + 6x + 5)

I am mixing this up with finding when the expression is undefined.

. . .(x - 3) / [(x + 5)(x + 1)]

I cannot use x = -5 or x = -1, or the expression would be undefined so I am stuck.

Part of the instructions appears to be missing. What are you supposed to be showing, if not the domain or the prohibited x-values?

Thank you.

Eliz.

I internet connection failed me. I am suppose to determine the value or variable for which the equation is defined.

Sorry for the incomplete equation.

stapel said:
Part of the instructions appears to be missing. What are you supposed to be showing, if not the domain or the prohibited x-values?

Thank you.

Eliz.

Hmmmm....let's try some common sense here.

If the equation is not defined when x = -5 or when x = -1, I guess it would be defined when x is anything else. Right??

So, the rational expression is defined for all real numbers x where x is not equal to -5 or -1.

Yes, exactly. I was unsure as to how to submit this as a solution. Would "all real numbers except -5 and -1 be sufficient?"
Mrspi said:
Hmmmm....let's try some common sense here.

If the equation is not defined when x = -5 or when x = -1, I guess it would be defined when x is anything else. Right??

So, the rational expression is defined for all real numbers x where x is not equal to -5 or -1.

Yes....that looks good to me. But, if you are entering your responses into an on-line course, I will not guarantee ANYTHING.

As a "real teacher," I'd surely accept your answer.

Thanks for your help. I really love this website.
Mrspi said:
Yes....that looks good to me. But, if you are entering your responses into an on-line course, I will not guarantee ANYTHING.

As a "real teacher," I'd surely accept your answer.