Do not know where to begin

malainacain

A local blood center needs donors and has advertised on the college campus. Faculty, staff, and students all donated during the drive. Many also volunteered to help set up, hand out materials, and clean up at the end of the event. There were a total of 500 people surveyed about their involvement that day. Two hundred eighteen of them gave blood. One hundred fifty-one helped with setting up and cleaning up, as well as handing out materials. If eighty-eight people both helped and donated, find out how many people neither donated nor helped.

Hi malainacain. Please share your thoughts about this exercise.

If it were my exercise, then I would draw and label a Venn diagram, determine how many people are in each region and use those values to answer the question.

EDIT: Comments about system of equations deleted

Have you learned about Venn diagrams?

Please let us know what your class is studying and what kind of help you need. Thank you.

:)

I have learned about Venn diagrams. This is one of the first things I learned in this class and I am having a hard time remembering what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why we request to show your work so we can have some idea how you want to solve this. I too would use a Venn diagram.

I have learned about [Venn] diagrams. This is one of the first things I learned in this class and I am having a hard time remembering what to do.
Try drawing one, and show it to us so we can see how close you are to being right. It's easier to guide you once you've started, than to try to tell you how to start, even if you start wrong!

What will the circles you draw represent? What numbers will you put in it?

I have learned about Venn diagrams … having a hard time remembering what to do.
Hi malainacain. Well, there's four different categories of people, in this exercise.

Those who donate
Those who help
Those who help and donate
Those who do not help and do not donate

Hints: Two partially-overlapping circles create four regions, one for each category of people. The four regions in the Venn diagram are:

The region outside both circles
The region inside the left circle that does not include the overlap
The region inside the right circle that does not include the overlap
The overlap

You decide which of the two, complete circles holds the people who donate. Then, label both circles.

Remember, each circle has two parts: the overlap and the remaining part.

How many people are in the overlap region? On the diagram, write that number inside the overlap.

Use that value to determine the number of people in the remaining part of each circle.

Let us know how far you get.

:)

PS: Forget about what I'd said in my first reply about writing and solving a system of equations. That's unnecessary. (I'd been thinking of something else because I hadn't drawn the diagram.) Glad I caught that goof, before Jomo could.

[imath]\;[/imath]

Last edited:
well, at the risk of being reprimanded, I am going to go ahead and post what I think after reading the problem. I think it was Otis and skeeters who first introduced Venns to me.
the info says that out of those 500 people only 218 donated blood.
it also goes on to say that 150 people helped
and that 88 both helped and donated blood.

I can not give the full answer because it is not policy of the forum. But I think I have it. thanks