Does my math book have the wrong answer?

arlinsmeier

The original problem is to write a piecewise-defined function for the graph below (the graph moves by 2's)
Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 1.35.31 PM.pngThe answer I got is g(x){6 if x (less than or = to) -5} {-2x+4 if -5<x<-2} {x+1 if x (greater than or = to) -2}
But this is the books answer:
Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 1.38.17 PM.png

The original problem is to write a piecewise-defined function for the graph below (the graph moves by 2's)
View attachment 29108The answer I got is g(x){6 if x (less than or = to) -5} {-2x+4 if -5<x<-2} {x+1 if x (greater than or = to) -2}
But this is the books answer:
View attachment 29109
Clearly the book's answer is for a different graph.

Your second and third formulas have the wrong slopes. I recommend checking two points on each to see if you're right:

y = -2x + 4 should pass through (-5, 9) and (-2, 6) if it is correct; it doesn't.​
y = x + 1 should pass through (-2, 0) and (2, 2); it doesn't.​

I think you just misread the slopes because of the way the graph is labeled.

Clearly the book's answer is for a different graph.

Your second and third formulas have the wrong slopes. I recommend checking two points on each to see if you're right:

y = -2x + 4 should pass through (-5, 9) and (-2, 6) if it is correct; it doesn't.​
y = x + 1 should pass through (-2, 0) and (2, 2); it doesn't.​

I think you just misread the slopes because of the way the graph is labeled.
Thank you, for the help. I double-checked and that is the answer that they have for that graph (so I guess that's an error on Mcgraw-Hills's end). Thank you for catching my errors though! Have a good rest of your night!

Can you please fix the errors for the wrong functions for two pieces of your graph.