Domain and Range Clarification

sensitiverabbit

For this question, it says to "Find the domain of the following functions using interval notation".Screenshot 2022-07-17 12.54.15 PM.png The answer is boxed, but I was wondering why the answer wasn't "x 2" since when you plug in 2 it becomes "f(x)=0" which is incorrect. Please clarify for me, thank you!

For this question, it says to "Find the domain of the following functions using interval notation".View attachment 33427 The answer is boxed, but I was wondering why the answer wasn't "x 2" since when you plug in 2 it becomes "f(x)=0" which is incorrect. Please clarify for me, thank you!
To be clear,[imath]x \neq 2[/imath] in interval notation is [imath]( -\infty, 2) \cup (2, \infty )[/imath].

But f(2) certainly exists, so why would you exclude it? A number x does not belong to the domain only if the function value does not exist at it. So if we had [imath]f(x) = \dfrac{1}{x^2 - 4x + 4}[/imath] then we can't have x = 2 because we can't calculate f(2).

-Dan

wondering why the answer wasn't "x 2" since when you plug in 2 it becomes "f(x)=0" which is incorrect.
Hi sensitiverabbit. Function f is defined as a polynomial. The domain for all polynomial functions is the set of Real numbers.

When you say that f(2)=0 is incorrect for the domain, it makes me think that you're working with a bad definition for "domain".

A function's domain is the set of all x-values for which the function is defined. The function you posted IS defined at x=2, so 2 must be in the domain. In fact, we may substitute any Real number for x, and the polynomial will evaluate to a Real number. There is no value for which f is not defined.

:)

[imath]\;[/imath]

x 2" since when you plug in 2 it becomes "f(x)=0" which is incorrect

I am assuming that you meant to say that f(2) =0 which is incorrect.
So you think f(2)≠0, so what is incorrect?
For the record, f(2) = 0 and 0 is a real number!. As long as the x-value you plug into the function gives you back a real number, then that x-value is in the domain.