Doubt about modulus in complex numbers

dunkelheit

Lets suppose we need to find the roots of [MATH]z^2+2z+2[/MATH], ignoring the fact that we can use the formula for quadratic equations we get that

[MATH]z^2+2z+2=0\Rightarrow (z+1)^2+1=0 \Rightarrow (z+1)^2=-1 \Rightarrow |z+1|=i \Rightarrow z+1=\pm i \Rightarrow z=-1 \pm i[/MATH]​
My doubt is the following: why we take the modulus of [MATH]z+1[/MATH] like we were in [MATH]\mathbb{R}[/MATH]? It seems strange to me because in [MATH]\mathbb{R}[/MATH] we use the modulus because of the sign of the expression in the root, but we know that [MATH]\mathbb{C}[/MATH] is not an ordered field and so it is impossible to know if [MATH]z+1[/MATH] is positive or negative; so it seems like the modulus in [MATH]\mathbb{C}[/MATH] is a different thing respect to the modulus in [MATH]\mathbb{R}[/MATH], but we use it the same if we have to extract a root with an even index. Can someone explain me this thing? Thanks.

Lets suppose we need to find the roots of [MATH]z^2+2z+2[/MATH], ignoring the fact that we can use the formula for quadratic equations we get that
[MATH]z^2+2z+2=0\Rightarrow (z+1)^2+1=0 \Rightarrow (z+1)^2=-1 \Rightarrow |z+1|=i \Rightarrow z+1=\pm i \Rightarrow z=-1 \pm i[/MATH]My doubt is the following: why we take the modulus of [MATH]z+1[/MATH] like we were in [MATH]\mathbb{R}[/MATH]? It seems strange to me because in [MATH]\mathbb{R}[/MATH] we use the modulus because of the sign of the expression in the root, but we know that [MATH]\mathbb{C}[/MATH] is not an ordered field and so it is impossible to know if [MATH]z+1[/MATH] is positive or negative; so it seems like the modulus in [MATH]\mathbb{C}[/MATH] is a different thing respect to the modulus in [MATH]\mathbb{R}[/MATH], but we use it the same if we have to extract a root with an even index.
Why not just use the basic quadratic equation? Look at this.
There is no mystery there. Is there?

Yes, it is clear by the quadratic equations since it has [MATH]\pm[/MATH] sign that leads to the two solutions, but I would actually know why it works the same by considering the modulus with the reasoning and the doubt I've said in my first post. Thanks!

[MATH]z^2+2z+2=0\Rightarrow (z+1)^2+1=0 \Rightarrow (z+1)^2=-1 \Rightarrow |z+1|=i \Rightarrow z+1=\pm i \Rightarrow z=-1 \pm i[/MATH]​
My doubt is the following: why we take the modulus of [MATH]z+1[/MATH] like we were in [MATH]\mathbb{R}[/MATH]? It seems strange to me because in [MATH]\mathbb{R}[/MATH] we use the modulus because of the sign of the expression in the root, but we know that [MATH]\mathbb{C}[/MATH] is not an ordered field and so it is impossible to know if [MATH]z+1[/MATH] is positive or negative; so it seems like the modulus in [MATH]\mathbb{C}[/MATH] is a different thing respect to the modulus in [MATH]\mathbb{R}[/MATH], but we use it the same if we have to extract a root with an even index. Can someone explain me this thing? Thanks.
You should doubt! Going from [math](z+ 1)^2= -1[/math] to [math]|z+ 1|= i[/math] is wrong! The absolute value, of any complex number is a non-negative real number. What you should have is [math]z+1= \pm i[/math]. That is NOT the same as saying |z+1|= I. For a real number, x, |x|= a means either x= a or x= -a. For a complex number, x |x|= a (and a must be a non-negative real number) means that x could be any point on the circle in the complex plane with center at (0, 0) and radius a.

If z= x+ iy then |z| is defined as \(\displaystyle \sqrt{zz*}= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}\) which is, again, a non-negative real number. Geometrically |z| can be defined as the distance of z from the origin in the complex plane. And "distance" is always a non-negative real number.

@Hallsoflvy Thanks for the clarification! I Now another question is raising inside my head: so if it is different from real numbers, why then from [MATH](z+1)^2=-1[/MATH] we deduce that [MATH]z+1= \pm i[/MATH]? In real numbers it follows, as you've said, from the modulus, but in complex numbers from what follows? It is clear to me that we square both sides and we get [MATH]i[/MATH] at the right hand side, but the rest of the process from which we get [MATH]z+1[/MATH] from [MATH]\sqrt{(z+1)^2}[/MATH] without caring, differently from the real case, of the fact that we are extracting an even index root of an even power and the [MATH]\pm[/MATH] is not that clear.

@Hallsoflvy Thanks for the clarification! I Now another question is raising inside my head: so if it is different from real numbers, why then from [MATH](z+1)^2=-1[/MATH] we deduce that [MATH]z+1= \pm i[/MATH]? In real numbers it follows, as you've said, from the modulus, but in complex numbers from what follows? It is clear to me that we square both sides and we get [MATH]i[/MATH] at the right hand side, but the rest of the process from which we get [MATH]z+1[/MATH] from [MATH]\sqrt{(z+1)^2}[/MATH] without caring, differently from the real case, of the fact that we are extracting an even index root of an even power and the [MATH]\pm[/MATH] is not that clear.
Lets go back to the ninth/tenth grade. Could you find the two roots of \(z^2+2z+2=0\)? If yes then what is your problem?

Yes I can, but to prove that formula (if I don't recall wrong) we use the absolute value when we extract the square root of the term [MATH]\left(x+\frac{b}{2a}\right)[/MATH]; here it isn't like this, according to what Hallsoflvy (if I've not interpreted wrong what he said).
I think it's nice to understand better things by trying other ways I don't know perfectly (as it is perfectly clear that if I have a doubt I would use the way I already know it is correct, but I'm here for learning now!).

I Now another question is raising inside my head: so if it is different from real numbers, why then from [MATH](z+1)^2=-1[/MATH] we deduce that [MATH]z+1= \pm i[/MATH]? In real numbers it follows, as you've said, from the modulus, but in complex numbers from what follows? It is clear to me that we square both sides and we get [MATH]i[/MATH] at the right hand side, but the rest of the process from which we get [MATH]z+1[/MATH] from [MATH]\sqrt{(z+1)^2}[/MATH] without caring, differently from the real case, of the fact that we are extracting an even index root of an even power and the [MATH]\pm[/MATH] is not that clear.
There is no modulus/absolute value involved there, and I don't think HallsofIvy said there is.

Yes, you can express it that way (that is, [MATH]\sqrt{a^2} = |a|[/MATH]) if all the numbers are real, but you are really saying simply that if [MATH]w^2 = a[/MATH], then there are two possible values of [MATH]w[/MATH], which are "opposites", called [MATH]\pm\sqrt{a}[/MATH], because [MATH](\pm\sqrt{a})^2 = (\pm1\sqrt{a})^2 = (\pm1)^2(\sqrt{a})^2 = 1a = a[/MATH].

In your example, we know that [MATH]i^2 = -1[/MATH], and therefore [MATH](\pm i)^2 = -1[/MATH]; and there is no other number whose square is -1. So if [MATH](z+1)^2 = -1[/MATH], we know that [MATH]z+1 = \pm i[/MATH].