f: [0, ∞) → R

lc212

Hello, I have a question and I hope somebody can help me answer it;

Can function f: [0, ∞) → R be surjective?

Hello LC. Have you learned the meaning of surjective, yet? Is this part of a class assignment? Please share your thoughts about the exercise. Thank you.

Have you tried making (or at least imagining) such a function? Sketch a graph of what it might look like. If you can't, tell us what is preventing you, and we can discuss that.

Have a look at this graph.
[imath]y=k\in\Re[/imath] is a horizontal line along which every point looks like [imath](x,k)[/imath]
Using the graph in the link, would every such line intersect that graph?
What does that have to do with your question?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does [imath]f[/imath] have to be continuous?
Yes.

Have you tried making (or at least imagining) such a function? Sketch a graph of what it might look like. If you can't, tell us what is preventing you, and we can discuss that.
Yes, I tried and I can't imagine it.

Hello LC. Have you learned the meaning of surjective, yet? Is this part of a class assignment? Please share your thoughts about the exercise. Thank you.

Yes, we have learned all about functions, already in high school and again now. It is actually a question from the theoretical part of the exam at my university (I study pharmacy). We have to decide if the statement is correct and prove our decision, and I cannot imagine such function and do not know how to solve it, so I decided to ask. English is also not my first language, sorry for any mistakes.

Please tell us - what does it mean for a function to be surjective?

Yes, I tried and I can't imagine it.
Sometimes in math you have to develop a good imagination, and not let it be limited to the familiar. We can get so used to polynomials that we forget there are other kinds of function!

Think about it: assuming (though it wasn't stated) that the function has to be continuous, it can't be @pka's log (which isn't defined at 0); that suggests it has to grow both upward and downward as x increases, perhaps starting at the origin. So some sort of oscillating function seems necessary.

You don't need to give the equation of an actual function, but @blamocur's example exactly fits these conditions.

@lc212 had you given the complete question(i.e. continuous) I would modified the answer.
[imath]f(x)=\log(x)\text{, if}\; x\le 1\\\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\:=x-1\;\text{, if }\; x> 1[/imath]
That is somewhat easier to see the horizonal test for surjectivity.