Factoring 97: find midpoint of seg. joining (-4,-3), (-8,6)

ronaldson1

I am doing a question where I have to find the midpoint of a line segment joining (-4,-3) and (-8,6) the problem I am having is finding the lenght of the line segement. It coreseponds to a earlier question in which I had to find the distance between the same points. I have graphed it out as a triangle and found legs for it. When I put what I have into the Pythagorean theorem I get 4 squared plus nine squared which equals nintey-seven. The problem is I can not figure out what the factors of ninety-seven are. Could someone please help me with this?

Re: Factoring 97

97 is prime.

Its only factors are 1 and itself.

ronaldson1 said:
... I can not figure out what the factors of ninety-seven are.

Hi Ronaldson:

If you want to go far in life, then memorize the multiplication table all the way from 1x1 through 12x12.

Cheers,

~ Mark :)

ronaldson1 said:
I am doing a question where I have to find the midpoint of a line segment joining (-4,-3) and (-8,6) the problem I am having is finding the lenght of the line segement. It coreseponds to a earlier question in which I had to find the distance between the same points. I have graphed it out as a triangle and found legs for it. When I put what I have into the Pythagorean theorem I get 4 squared plus nine squared which equals nintey-seven. The problem is I can not figure out what the factors of ninety-seven are. Could someone please help me with this?

I might well be confused here...but you said you needed to find the MIDPOINT of the segment joining (-4, -3) and (-8, 6).

The midpoint of the segment joining (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) is [ (x1 + x2)/2, (y1 + y2)/2 ]

The x-coordinate of the midpoint is the AVERAGE of the two x-coordinates of the endpoint...add them and divide by 2. The y-coordinate of the midpoint is the AVERAGE of the two y-coordinates of the endpoints....add them, and divide by 2.

Your two points are (-4, -3) and (-8, 6)

The x-coordinate of the midpoint is (-4 + -8) / 2, or -12/2, or -6.
The y-coordinate of the midpoint is (-3 + 6) / 2, or 3/2, or 3/2.

The midpoint of the segment joining (-4, -3) and (-8, 6) is (-6, 3/2).