fence

Oh, yes , right.
So, 1,800 ft
Foot (ft) is equal to 0.3333333 yard. To convert feet to yards, I multiply the feet value by 0.3333333 or divide by 3.
1,800 ft to yards= 600 yards.
Each yard costs 4 dollars.
600 * 4 =2400
So, the total cost of fencing is 2,400 dollars.

Here's how I would do it per my post above.
What do we need to find? Cost of the fence. What's the relevant formula?
Total cost = cost per yard * length (in yards)
This is your "guiding light". As long as you have this formula you know where to go.
So, cost is known - $4 per yard.
Length is not known yet.
Length of the fence is the perimeter. We can calculate it - 1,800 ft.
Look at the main formula again - we need length in yards. Since 1 yard = 3 ft we know what to do: Length in yards = 1,800 ft./3 = 600 yards.
Now we can plug in all values in the main formula: Cost = $4 per yard * 600 yards = $2400.

Here's how I would do it per my post above.
What do we need to find? Cost of the fence. What's the relevant formula?
Total cost = cost per yard * length (in yards)
This is your "guiding light". As long as you have this formula you know where to go.
So, cost is known - $4 per yard.
Length is not known yet.
Length of the fence is the perimeter. We can calculate it - 1,800 ft.
Look at the main formula again - we need length in yards. Since 1 yard = 3 ft we know what to do: Length in yards = 1,800 ft./3 = 600 yards.
Now we can plug in all values in the main formula: Cost = $4 per yard * 600 yards = $2400.
Wow, I love it!. Didn't know it could also be done that way. Cool!. Thankss!

Hi, dear professors:
I should be able to do this here problem by now quite easily, I find myself struggling with the solution, though.

If fencing is $ 4.00 per yard, how much will it cost a farmer to fence a rectangular field with dimension 300 ft by 600 ft.
Given
fencing is $.00 per yard
width 300 ft
length 600 ft
cost of fencing=?

This is definitely about founding the area of the rectangular field.
Area of a rectangular= l*w
A= 600 ft * 300 ft
A=180,000 ft^2 (the area of the rectangular field)
Now, it says that the cost of 1 yard =4.00 dollars
so, there are three feet to a yard
so, 3 ft of fencing costs =4 dollars
the area has 180,000 ft
I am stuck here, any hint as to how to proceed to find the cost?

Thanks in advance,
eddy
Which is it? Is the area 180,000 ft or 180,000ft^2.

Think about how many ft/yds you need to purchase when you go to the fence store.

Which is it? Is the area 180,000 ft or 180,000ft^2.

Think about how many ft/yds you need to purchase when you go to the fence store.
First I thought it was in square feet. But as we are dealing with length I was told is was in feet.

Just like 5x5 is not 5, ft x ft is NOT ft

5x5 = 5^2 just like ft x ft is ft^2

Just like 5x5 is not 5, ft x ft is NOT ft

5x5 = 5^2 just like ft x ft is ft^2
At post 13 I expressed it square feet. The way to calculate a rectangular area is by measuring the length and width of your area then multiplying those two numbers together to get the area in feet squared.
That is what I have learned.

At post 13 I expressed it square feet. The way to calculate a rectangular area is by measuring the length and width of your area then multiplying those two numbers together to get the area in feet squared.
Thanks for the rectification.

Post #13 is not your post!

Wow, I love it!. Didn't know it could also be done that way. Cool!. Thankss!
What way? Do you see that I'm doing exactly the same steps as you did? The difference is that my approach is more organized. From the very beginning I know where I am going. The main formula serves as the plan of action. That's the point of my long post. Hope it's clear.

What way? Do you see that I'm doing exactly the same steps as you did? The difference is that my approach is more organized. From the very beginning I know where I am going. The main formula serves as the plan of action. That's the point of my long post. Hope it's clear.
It is. What i meant by cool is the way you label the formula. You label with a name what I did without one. That is what I said that I loved your way.

It is. What i meant by cool is the way you label the formula. You label with a name what I did without one. That is what I said that I loved your way.
Sorry, but if the only thing you noticed there is how a label stuff, you are missing the point.

… multiplying [length and width] together to get the area in feet squared…
Yes -- that's the area formula for any rectangle (including squares). There's a formula for perimeter, too.

A = L × W

P = 2L + 2W

?

Sorry, but if the only thing you noticed there is how a label stuff, you are missing the point.
No, I'm not.
I liked it but I understood what you did. I didn't miss out on anything. You just did it like you say in an organized way.

Yes -- that's the area formula for any rectangle (including squares). There's a formula for perimeter, too.

A = L × W

P = 2L + 2W

?
Yes, correct. I knew the one about perimeter but decided to find the total by adding the sides.
By the way, thanks a lot.

Okay, thanks.

The perimeter of a rectangle is found by adding up the length of all four sides. Since the two long sides are 600 ft and the two shorter sides are 300 ft the perimeter can be found by adding up
600 + 600 + 300 + 300 =1,800 ft^2
that is the perimeter of the rectangular field.
so, if every yard is 4 dollars
and there are 3 ft to 1 yard
When you add ft you do not get ft^2. When you add 10 dollar bills do you end up with 10 dollar^2 bills?

Suppose you have a piece of wood that is 17 inches long and you realize for the job you are doing this piece of wood is 3 inches short. Do you go to the wood store and ask for a 20 in^2 piece of wood or a 20 in piece of wood.

I think that before you go on you should first explain why 5ft x 3ft for example is 15 ft^2 via a diagram. If you choose to take my advise then please start a new post. If you understand the difference between square ft and ft then you'll never have trouble again.

When you add ft you do not get ft^2. When you add 10 dollar bills do you end up with 10 dollar^2 bills?

Suppose you have a piece of wood that is 17 inches long and you realize for the job you are doing this piece of wood is 3 inches short. Do you go to the wood store and ask for a 20 in^2 piece of wood or a 20 in piece of wood.

I think that before you go on you should first explain why 5ft x 3ft for example is 15 ft^2 via a diagram. If you choose to take my advise then please start a new post. If you understand the difference between square ft and ft then you'll never have trouble again.
Interesting. I want to learn why.

Mr Jomo, I do want to learn why. I have never thought of that before.
The best 'because' that I can afford is because if all linear dimensions are doubled (width and length) then the result has to be doubled as well. Hence ft ^2.