Find the minimum

George Saliaris

Let f(x) = e^(x^2 - x) + e^(1-x).Prove that the minimum value of f(x) is 2 (without the use of derivatives).... What I have tried:
1) a wide range of "brute force" methods
2) completing the "square" 3) use of some basic inequalities (like x + 1/x >=2... All of these did not get me somewhere.. Any hints?

Edit : Using Bernoulli's inequality I did it but I doubt our teacher wants us to do that since we have not learned this inequality

Last edited:
[math]e^{x^{2}-x} + e^{1-x} = \left(e^{x}\right)^{x-1} + \left(e^{-1}\right)^{x-1}[/math]

A key may be that you are not told to find the minimum, but to prove a given minimum. That means you can use a different kind of strategy.

For what value of x does f(x) = 2? It's easy (at least to find one such value, if not to be sure it's the only one).

Then see if you can prove that f(x) > 2 elsewhere. You may want to prove this for several separate cases, based on what the exponents are.

In addition to the ideas provided in previous posts, you might want to consider if there are domains where f(x) is everywhere increasing or everywhere decreasing. A local minimum can occur only at the endpoints of such domains.

I like tkhunny's hint. It leads to reasoning that f's minimum point is controlled by its first term only. As horizontal shifts do not affect a function's minimum, I'm thinking that shifting f one unit to the left could make a proof shorter.

?

My progress so far : I have proven f is decreasing at (-∞, 1). For x>1 the first term is not a decreasing function..

Edit: So, I took f(x+1) and showed that it is decreasing at (-inf, 0) and increasing at (0, +inf). So f(x+1) has a minimum of 2 for x=0,right?

Last edited:
Update No 2 (sorry for the extra post but I could not edit the previous one) : I have a problem showing that f(x+1) is increasing at (0,+inf)..