Find the sum of all positive integer solutions less than 6 satisfying the inequality

Violette

[math]27^x - 8^x - 3×4^x + 2×3^x - 5×2^x - 3 = 0[/math]I tried Subtitution by setting [math]a=3^x b=2^x[/math] but It helped me nothing.I think we have to subtitute 2^x and 3^x using the same t.Is there anyway to do this other than using calculator and plug x={1;2;3;4;5} into the inequality?
Wolframalpha factorized the inequality like this on R
1681359160433.png
also the answer is x>=1

Last edited:
I would use graphical technique to plot f(x) and f'(x) and observe the roots of f(x).

You write:

Find the sum of all positive integer solutions less than 6 satisfying the inequality

Then you write:
27^x − 8^x − 3*4^x + 2*3^x − 5*2^x −3 = 0
Where did the inequality go ?

If you are asked to find the "sum", then your answer
also the answer is x>=1
does NOT make sense!!

Last edited:
I would use graphical technique to plot f(x) and f'(x) and observe the roots of f(x).

You write:

Then you write:

Where did the inequality go ?

If you are asked to find the "sum", then your answer

does NOT make sense!!
Sorry for my mistakes. I forgot the>= sign I will edit it right away and I meant the answer of the inequality is x>=1.P/s: I tried to find the edit button but I couldn't find it.I am really sorry about that.BTW can you explain to me how you graph the function? Because we have to find where f(x) change its sign right?

Last edited:
[math] x \in \mathbb Z^+ \text { and } 27^x - 8^x - 3 * 4^x + 2 * 3^x - 5 * 2^x - 3 \ge 0 \implies \\ p(x) = 27^x + 2 * 3^x \ge 8^x + 3 * 4^x + 5 * 2^x + 3 = q(x). [/math]
It is obvious without a calculator that [imath]p(1) = 27 + 2 * 3 = 33[/imath] and
[imath]q(1) = 8 + 3 * 4 + 5 * 2 + 3 = 8 + 12 + 10 + 3 = 33.[/imath]
In short, [imath]p(1) = q(1).[/imath]

Furthermore,

[math] x \ge 1 \implies p(x) > 27^x \text { and }\\ 8^x + 3 * 4^x + 5 * 2^x + 3 < 8^x + 3 * 8^x + 5 * 8^x + 8^x = 10 * 8^x.\\ \text {In addition, } \dfrac{27^x}{10 * 8^x} = 0.1 * (3.375)^x [/math]
Now what?

[math] x \in \mathbb Z^+ \text { and } 27^x - 8^x - 3 * 4^x + 2 * 3^x - 5 * 2^x - 3 \ge 0 \implies \\ p(x) = 27^x + 2 * 3^x \ge 8^x + 3 * 4^x + 5 * 2^x + 3 = q(x). [/math]
It is obvious without a calculator that [imath]p(1) = 27 + 2 * 3 = 33[/imath] and
[imath]q(1) = 8 + 3 * 4 + 5 * 2 + 3 = 8 + 12 + 10 + 3 = 33.[/imath]
In short, [imath]p(1) = q(1).[/imath]

Furthermore,

[math] x \ge 1 \implies p(x) > 27^x \text { and }\\ 8^x + 3 * 4^x + 5 * 2^x + 3 < 8^x + 3 * 8^x + 5 * 8^x + 8^x = 10 * 8^x.\\ \text {In addition, } \dfrac{27^x}{10 * 8^x} = 0.1 * (3.375)^x [/math]
Now what?
[imath]p(x)[/imath] will be greater than [imath]q(x)[/imath]?? Hmn how did you come up with this [imath]8x+3∗4x+5∗2x+3<8x+3∗8x+5∗8x+8x=10∗8x[/imath]

The original poster responded to post #4 in a private message. This is my response to the substance of that message of p(x) > q(x).

Yes [imath]x > 1 \implies p(x) > q(x).[/imath]

There are at least two ways to solve this problem. One involves calculus. The other involves this simple rule of algebra

[math]p(x) > r(x) > s(x) > q(x) \implies p(x) > q(x).[/math]
Instead of trying to work with p(x) and q(x), which are not very nice functions unless x = 0 or x = 1, we work with the nicer functions r(x) and s(x).

Obviously

[math] 2 * 3^x > 0 \implies p(x) = 27^x + 2 * 3^x > 27^x = r(x) \text { for all real } x.\\ \text {Similarly, for all real } x \ge 1, 8^x > 4^x, \ 8^x > 3, \text { and } 8^x > 2^x \implies\\ 3 * 8^x + 8^x + 5 * 8^x > 3 * 4^x + 3 + 5 * 2^x \implies 9 * 8^x > 3 * 4^x + 5 * 2^x + 3 \implies\\ 10 * 8^x > p(x) \implies s(x) = 10 * 8^x > p(x). [/math]
We know that p(1) = q(1), but our question also involves integers > 1. What is the order relationship between r(x) and s(x) for integers greater than or equal to 2. Well, quite obviously both r(x) and s(x) are positive so

[math]0 < u(x) = \dfrac{r(x)}{s(x)} = \dfrac{27^x}{10 * 8^x} = \dfrac{1}{10} * \left (\dfrac{27}{8} \right )^x =\\ 0.1 * 3.375^x < 0.1 * 3.375^{(x+1)} \implies u(x) < u(x + 1).\\ \text {And } 10 < 3.3^2 < 3.375^2 \implies 1 < u(2) \implies 1 < u(x) \text { if } x \ge 2.\\ \therefore \ x \ge 2 \implies \dfrac{r(x)}{s(x)} > 1 \implies r(x) > s(x) \implies p(x) > q(x). [/math]
It is a long way to solve the problem, but it requires neither calculus or more than very simple arithmetic.

Sorry for my mistakes. I forgot the>= sign I will edit it right away and I meant the answer of the inequality is x>=1.P/s: I tried to find the edit button but I couldn't find it.I am really sorry about that.BTW can you explain to me how you graph the function? Because we have to find where f(x) change its sign right?
What I put in bold above is simply untrue. Consider f(x) = x^2. Note that f(0)=0 yet the function never changes its sign--the function f(x) is never negative.

Find the sum of all positive integer solutions less than 6 satisfying the inequality​

There are only a few positive integers less that 6. In fact they are 1,2,3,4 and 5. Why not test them one by one to see which one satisfies the inequality?

Find the sum of all positive integer solutions less than 6 satisfying the inequality​

There are only a few positive integers less that 6. In fact they are 1,2,3,4 and 5. Why not test them one by one to see which one satisfies the inequality?
Steven

The question was whether there was a different way to solve the problem.

There are only a few positive integers less that 6. In fact they are 1,2,3,4 and 5. Why not test them one by one to see which one satisfies the inequality.
As I told in the post, that is the smart way to do it if we don't have much time ^^

What I put in bold above is simply untrue. Consider f(x) = x^2. Note that f(0)=0 yet the function never changes its sign--the function f(x) is never negative.
Ye i agree with you with [math]x>=1[/math] the function is never negative

2 * 3^x > 0 \implies p(x) = 27^x + 2 * 3^x > 27^x = r(x) \text { for all real } x.\\

\text {Similarly, for all real } x \ge 1, 8^x > 4^x, \ 8^x > 3, \text { and } 8^x > 2^x \implies\\

3 * 8^x + 8^x + 5 * 8^x > 3 * 4^x + 3 + 5 * 2^x \implies 9 * 8^x > 3 * 4^x + 5 * 2^x + 3 \implies\\
10 * 8^x > p(x) \implies s(x) = 10 * 8^x > p(x).
I think there's some contradiction with this line i put in bold if [math]r(x)>s(x)[/math] means that [math]27^x>10*8^x[/math] but [math]p(x)>27^x =>p(x) > 10*8^x[/math].Or did i misunderstood somewhere? Also i am really appreciate your work and Can I ask you what is the calculus way to do it(I meant the idea)? ^^[/math]

Yes, it should say s(x) > q(x).

We start by recognizing that

[math]27^x - 8^x - 3 * 4^x + 2 * 3^x - 5 * 2^x - 3 \ge 0 \iff\\ 27^x + 2 * 3^x \ge 8^x + 3 * 4^x + 5 * 2^x + 3 [/math]
Now we do not know initially where (if anywhere) the first inequality is true, but we know that the first inequality is equivalent to the second and that the second involves no negatives.

To avoid errors and make things clearer, we use function notation.

[math] \text {Define } p(x) = 27^x + 2 * 3^x \\ \text {and } q(x) = 8^x + 3 * 4^x + 5 * 2^x + 3. [/math]
So our second inequality can be expressed very simply as [imath]p(x) \ge q(x)[/imath]

At this point, we still have no clue what values of x (if any) make that inequality true. We can also see that p(x) and q(x) are not functions that are really easy to work with unless x = 0 or x = 1. However, we are interested in positive integers so let’s see what happens at x = 1.

[math] p(1) = 27^1 + 2 * 3^1 = 27 + 6 = 33.\\ q(1) = 8^1 + 3 * 4^1 + 5 * 2^1 + 3 = 8+12+10+3=20+13=33 \implies \\ p(1) = q(1). [/math]
Now perhaps we can work with nicer functions for integers greater than 1.

[math]\text {Define } r(x) = 27^x \implies p(x) > r(x) \text { for all real } x \ \because \ 2 * 3^x > 0.\\ \text {Define } s(x) = 10 * 8^x \implies s(x) > q(x \text { for all real x } > 1 \\ \because 8^x > 4^x > 2^x \text { and } 8^x > 3 \text { for all real x} > 1. [/math]
What we know so far is p(x) > r(x) for all x, p(1) = q(1), and s(x) > q(x) for all x > 1.

Now if we can show that r(x) > s(x) for all integers greater than 1, we are about done. But that is easy.
We show r(2) > s(2) > 0 and r(k + 1)/s(k+1) > r(k)/s(k), and we have an inductive proof that r(n) > s(n) for any integer > 1.

Thus, for integer n > 1, p(n) > r(n) > s(n > q(n) so p(n) > q. And p(1) = q(1). Therefore p(n) [imath]\ge[/imath] q(n) for any positive integer n.

With the information gathered in response #4 and #13,

what is the sum of all positive integer solutions less than 6 satisfying the inequality​