Find their respective speeds

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, dear friends and teachers:
Two people start from the same point and at the same time, both going through two perpendicular roads. Knowing that the speed of one of them is 4 km/h more than the other, and that after two hours are 40 km away, find their respective speeds.
Merry Christmas, or holidays, whatever it is for you all!.
My deepest thanks for your educated opinion and continued support,
eddy.

Reactions: AAA
Two people start from the same point and at the same time, both going through two perpendicular roads. Knowing that the speed of one of them is 4 km/h more than the other, and that after two hours are 40 km away, find their respective speeds.
eddy.
Please post your diagram and let us know what is not clear.

eddy.
First law of solving "word problem":

What is/are the find/s: \(\displaystyle \ \ \to \ \ \ \) find their respective speeds.

Assign names to those "finds": \(\displaystyle \ \ \to \ \ \ \) Speed of person 1 = N and Speed of person 2 = T

Find Givens:

speed of one of them is 4 km/h more than the other\(\displaystyle \ \ \to \ \ \ \) O = T + 4 .............. and

but the next given:

after two hours are 40 km away ...... ← ...... does not make sense

Please check the original problem and post corrected version.

First law of solving "word problem":

What is/are the find/s: \(\displaystyle \ \ \to \ \ \ \) find their respective speeds.

Assign names to those "finds": \(\displaystyle \ \ \to \ \ \ \) Speed of person 1 = N and Speed of person 2 = T

Find Givens:

speed of one of them is 4 km/h more than the other\(\displaystyle \ \ \to \ \ \ \) O = T + 4 .............. and

but the next given:

after two hours are 40 km away ...... ← ...... does not make sense

Please check the original problem and post corrected version.

After two hours they find themselves 40 km away from each other. ................[edited]

Last edited by a moderator:
Within an hour they find themselves 40 km away from each other.
Okay ... Now I give up.

First you write:

after two hours are 40 km away (from each other)

Then you write:

Within an hour they find themselves 40 km away from each other.

Which is it?

Thanks, to both of you. Let me do some thinking here. BTW, I like that about first law of word problem solution. That helps me put my mathematical feet on the ground, so to speak!. Thanks. Whenever the opportunity presents itself, let me know if there is a basic law to keep in mind. That goes along way for a greenhorn in math like me.

Even though, I have been a student of English for a long time, and a lover of Grammar, my first language is Spanish by birth. English is my second language. Sometimes, I may make mistakes. Thanks for quickly rectifying them.

Even though, I have been a student of English for a long time, and a lover of Grammar, my first language is Spanish by birth. English is my second language. Sometimes, I may make mistakes. Thanks for quickly rectifying them.
I did not rectify anything - you need to read carefully. You cannot blame your second - language for mixing up "one" and "two"!!

English is my third language - so read word problems - slow, careful and super-extra careful!!

Sorry, in two hours.
You are right. I need to read slowly. That is one thing that makes me make mistakes, that I read too fast and do not stop to think. Thanks for pointing that out.

Two people start from the same point and at the same time, both going through two perpendicular roads. Knowing that the speed of one of them is 4 km/h more than the other, and that after two hours both are 40 km away from each other. Find their respective speeds.

Speed of person 1 = N
Speed of person 2 = T
speed of one of them is 4 km/h more than the other , so;
O = T + 4 (more=+)

How can this piece of info be fit into the equation, if possible?
'...after two hours both are 40 km away from each other'.

Two people start from the same point and at the same time, both going through two perpendicular roads. Knowing that the speed of one of them is 4 km/h more than the other, and that after two hours both are 40 km away from each other. Find their respective speeds.

Speed of person 1 = N
Speed of person 2 = T
O = T + 4 (more=+)

How can this piece of info be fit into the equation, if possible?
'...after two hours both are 40 km away from each other'.
What's O? Please be more careful.
As I suggested in the first reply, please make and post the diagram showing what's going on in the problem. It may help with your last question.

I don't know how to post a diagram here. What do you mean by diagram?. A drawing of what is going in in the problem?.

This is all I can do.

Attachments

• paint_25-12-2020-02-19-23.jpg
    paint_25-12-2020-02-19-23.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 2
Speed of person 1 = N
Speed of person 2 = T
S = T + 4 (more=+)
Maybe?

It is not a pretty drawing but I hope is what you wanted represented. If there is something missing, let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2020_12_25_0p8_Kleki.png
    2020_12_25_0p8_Kleki.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 3
It is not a pretty drawing but I hope is what you wanted represented. If there is something missing, let me know. Thanks.
What are the 2 dots? Why is one at the intersection and the other one not?
What is 40km? This is a distance between which points?

What are the 2 dots? Why is one at the intersection and the other one not?
What is 40km? This is a distance between which points?
The first point is their starting point. Same place.
You asked to draw something to indicate 40 kms. I drew another point.