Find xy+zy+xz if...

moranjbardi

Find xy+zy+xz if:
a+b+c = 2(a^2 + b^2 + c^2) = 4
and x/a + y/b + z/c = √3

I have spilled a ton of ink on paper trying to figure out the solution. NO SUCCESS! I can't sleep! help me please...

Find xy+zy+xz if:
and x/a + y/b + z/c = √3

I have spilled a ton of ink on paper trying to figure out the solution. NO SUCCESS! I can't sleep! help me please...
Please share some of those papers with spilled ink with us.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

Please check that you copied this out correctly. There's no real values for a,b,c that can satisfy both of these...

[MATH]a + b + c = 4[/MATH]
[MATH]a^2 + b^2 + c^2 = 2[/MATH]
EDIT: Or did you intend to write a+b+c = 2
and separately (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) = 4

… did [the OP] intend to write a+b+c = 2
and separately (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) = 4
Not sure, Cubist, but those two equations have infinite Real solutions. I visualized treating c as a parameter and subtracting it from both sides. Then we'd have in the second equation a circle of radius r=(4-c^2) which could be centered on horizontal a-axis and vertical b-axis, and the first equation would be an intersecting line b=-a+(c-2) -- that is, a line with slope -1 and b-intercept (c-2).

As c increases, the radius 4-c^2 decreases toward zero, and the b-intercept of the line rises. As long as c is set within (0,2), I'm thinking the line will intersect in two places, giving infinite pairs of solutions. At first, I thought c could be 0 or 2 also, but I'd forgotten that we can't have zero-values for a, b or c (because they are denominators in the rest of the exercise).

When I tried extending my visualization into negative values of c, the back of my eyes started to ache, so I stopped. Clearly, the circle's size would increase and the line would drop.

Now, my puzzlement is: Given a generalized solution for a, b and c, how would we find expressions for x, y and z when we have only one equation? Maybe a shortcut belonging to a specific interpretation of the givens is needed, including the expression we're supposed to deduce (xy+zy+xz). Or, maybe the OP created this, while working on something we can't see.

?