Finding Slope and y-intercept of -9x + 8y = 22, etc

racegirl8car

I really need help with these problems.

1) -9x + 8y = 22

2) -8x - 9y = 45

3) x = -4

I would appreciate any help with these, I just can not understand how to do these problems.

Thank you.

Solve for y. The coefficient of x is your slope and the constant is your y-intercept.
This is called slope intercept form.

I still do not understand. I kinda think maybe I am really stupid or something is not clicking.

Thanks for your reply. I will keep trying to understand.

I am in my 8th week of Algebra in college and I still do not fully understand any of this algebra. I am just hoping I make it through and pass the class.

The first problem I posted, I just have to find the slope but the other 2 I have to find slope and y-intercept.

If you could post an example detailed out maybe that will help me.

Thank you so much.

You should've seen this in high school.

I'll do one and you attempt the other. OK?.

We want the form y=mx+b, where m is ther slope and b is the y-intercept.

All you have to do is solve them for y, as I said previously.

\(\displaystyle \L\\-9x+8y=22\)

\(\displaystyle \L\\8y=22+9x\)

\(\displaystyle \L\\y=\frac{22+9x}{8}\)

\(\displaystyle \L\\y=\underbrace{\frac{9}{8}}_{\text{slope}}x+\underbrace{\frac{11}{4}}_{\text{y-intercept}}\)

It helps to make a graph also. Have you done that?. The line will intercept the y axis when x=0. Set x=0 in your equation and solve for y.

Also, find the x-intercept by setting y=0 in your equation and solving for x.

You will then have where it crosses the y-axis and the x-axis. You can find the slope from that, too.

Slope = \(\displaystyle \frac{y_{2}-y_{1}}{x_{2}-x_{1}}\)

\(\displaystyle x_{2} \;\ and \;\ y_{1}\) are 0.

Thank you so much. However, I never too Algebra in high school. I graduated in 1989 so it has been a while since I did any math and this is just really hard. I never even took pre-algebra.

I will try to understand your example and work from it.

Again, thanks so much.

racegirl8car said:
Thank you so much. However, I never too Algebra in high school. I graduated in 1989 so it has been a while since I did any math and this is just really hard. I never even took pre-algebra.
Geez RG, you're trying to play hockey but have never skated...
I sure suggest you look at the sites stapel suggested.
Good luck.