Finding the range of advanced equations

Juan21Guns

Is it possible to find the range of a function such as this without a graph/calculator? I can find the domain easy but wasn't sure if there was certain process used to find the answer of the range:

"Find the domain and range of the function f(x) = (x2 - 9) / (4x2 + x)"

I looked it up on Mathway and it gave me this answer, but told me to use the graph to solve.

"Range: (−∞,72−6√143]∪[72+6√143,∞),{y∣∣y≤72−6√143,y≥72+6√143})"

Genereally, understanding what it is you are looking at is most helpful. My whole point, here, is to suggest it may not be a trivial task. Sorry.

[math]f(x) = \dfrac{x^{2}-9}{4x^{2}+x} = \dfrac{(x+3)(x-3)}{x(4x+1)}[/math]
Just looking a the original expression, one can see immediately that there is an horizontal asymptote at f(x) = 1/4, so that is unlikely to be in the Range, but it may behave oddly close to x = 0, so don't rule it out just yet.

Looking at the second expression, one sees vertical asymptotes at x= 0 and x = -1/4. Given vertical asymptotes, it may seem likely that all real nunnbrs should be included in the Range. It's also important to note the DEGREE of each vertical asymptote causing factor in the denominator. These are both degree 1, so the extreme behavior is known if we know a little more about it.

What is f(-4) = 0.117
What is f(-3) = 0 -- That wasn't a surprise. Most notably, it is decreasing as x increases.
What is f(-2) = -0.357 -- Still decreasing
What is f(-1) = -2.667 -- Still decreasing

Okay, so we know the function decreases (increases without bound in the negative direction) as x approaches -1/4 from the negative side.

Looking at "x" in the denominator, being of degree 1, we know that the asymptote must come back from the top, since it exited from the bottom.

What is f(-1/8) = 143.75 -- Okay, so it IS coming down from the top.
What is f(-1/16) = 191.917 -- What? That may have been a surprise. It turns abound and goes back up as we continue to approach x = 0 on our trek in the positive x-direction.

Knowing it turns around and is unbounded in the positive y direction, what does that tell us of the other side of x = 0? It had better come back into the picture from the bottom.

What is f(1/4) = -17.875 -- Yup.

That's almost all we need to know. At the extremes, we are increasing to y = 1/4 as we increase x in either direction. f(x) crosses the x-axis at x = 3 and x = -3. We know everything EXCEPT where and how does it turn around between x = -1/4 and x = 0? Well, without the calculus, this is a much harder problem. You can just guess and check.

We already have:
f(-1/8) = 143.75
f(-1/16) = 191.917 -- Thus, it must have turned around somewhere between x = -1/8 and x = -1/16. Bisection can be instructive. Half way between -1/8 and -1/16 is -3/32 = -0.094.
f(-3/32) = 153.45 -- Half way between -1/8 and -3/32 is -7/64. = -0.109
f(-7/64) = 146.091 -- We could keep doing this for a VERY LONG TIME. The calculus immediately tells us that the minimum is at
[math]x = 3\cdot\sqrt{136} - 36 = -0.1252177707 [/math], so, we WERE getting there with our little bisection thing, but we were getting there rather slowly.
BTW: f(-0.1252177707) = 143.75 -- It really looks like we almost stumbled over it when we arbitrarily picked x = -1/8 for earlier testing.

One thing I cannot answer is why you were getting [math]\sqrt{136}[/math] and I was getting [math]\sqrt{143}[/math]. Someone made a typo along the way would be my first guess.

Like I said, without the calculus, this can be a much more difficult task. Even with the calculus, it can be rather tedious.

Last edited:
f(x) = (x2- 9) / (4x2 + x)
Set f(x) = k and see if you can find an x for that k. If you can, then k is in the range.
(x^2 - 9) / (4x^2 + x) = k
(x^2 - 9) = (4x^2 + x)k
(x^2 - 9) =(4kx^2 + kx)
(x^2 - 9) - (4kx^2 + kx)=0
(1-4k)^2 - kx - 9 = 0
This last line is a quadratic equation that is set to zero. Now solve for x. There may be some x's that can not be obtained since some values of k will make the denominator 0 or what is under the square sign negative.

For example, if x turned out to be x=3/(k-5), the k=5 will not be in the range since x would be undefined when k=5.

Genereally, understanding what it is you are looking at is most helpful. My whole point, here, is to suggest it may not be a trivial task. Sorry.

[math]f(x) = \dfrac{x^{2}-9}{4x^{2}+x} = \dfrac{(x+3)(x-3)}{x(4x+1)}[/math]
Just looking a the original expression, one can see immediately that there is an horizontal asymptote at f(x) = 1/4, so that is unlikely to be in the Range
I think that you are jumping the gun with saying that 1/4 will probable not be in the range. When you cross multiply f(x) = 1/4 you get 4x^2 - 36 = 4x^2 + x. Clearly x= -36 will show that f(x) = 1/4.

I am sure that you know this, but what happens near infinity does not say anything about what happens for other values for x. I have been there many time before but this time you are the one who is guilty of sloppy thinking!

f(x) = (x2- 9) / (4x2 + x)
Set f(x) = k and see if you can find an x for that k. If you can, then k is in the range.
(x^2 - 9) / (4x^2 + x) = k
(x^2 - 9) = (4x^2 + x)k
(x^2 - 9) =(4kx^2 + kx)
(x^2 - 9) - (4kx^2 + kx)=0
(1-4k)^2 - kx - 9 = 0
This last line is a quadratic equation that is set to zero. Now solve for x. There may be some x's that can not be obtained since some values of k will make the denominator 0 or what is under the square sign negative.

For example, if x turned out to be x=3/(k-5), the k=5 will not be in the range since x would be undefined when k=5.
Sorry but the equation, (1-4k)^2 - kx - 9 = 0, is NOT a quadratic equation in x. Is in fact linear in x. x = [(1-4k)^2 - 9]/k. The only value that k can't be is 0. That is, the range of f(x) is y is not 0.

1) I think that you are jumping the gun with saying that 1/4 will probably not be in the range.

2) When you cross multiply...
Quote parsed for separate commentary...

1) Agreed. One asymptote, maybe. Two or more, not so much. I did try to cover your objection in the last part of the run-on sentence. I think my language skills may have been lass adequate than hoped, rather than sloppy thinking. Either way, failure to express what was desired can't be anyone's fault but mine.
2) It is unlikely I ever would do that.

I think that you are jumping the gun with saying that 1/4 will probable not be in the range. When you cross multiply f(x) = 1/4 you get 4x^2 - 36 = 4x^2 + x. Clearly x= -36 will show that f(x) = 1/4.

I am sure that you know this, but what happens near infinity does not say anything about what happens for other values for x. I have been there many time before but this time you are the one who is guilty of sloppy thinking!
You say "...you cross multiply "

That is illegal operation

- worse than using BODMAS or PEDMAS or SOHCAHTOA or some such silly acronyms....​

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You say "...you cross multiply "

That is illegal operation

- worse than using BODMAS or PEDMAS or SOHCAHTOA or some such silly acronyms....​

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I know, I know. It was between tkhunny and me both who knows (some) math. It was just a shortcut to getting to my point. Give me a break!