Function Combinations and Compositions

poochybear

Define functions f(x) = √x + 1, g(x) = x2 − 2 and h(x) = arcsin(x3). Find (i) the expressions of f(x)g(x) + h(x) and f(x)/h(x)​

please refer to the screenshot. I'm new to the topic and am quite clueless. thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 10.08.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 10.08.26 AM.png
    360.7 KB · Views: 11
please refer to the screenshot. I'm new to the topic and am quite clueless. thanks in advance!
If your textbook doesn't provide an explanation for these concepts (combinations of functions, composition of functions, and inverse functions), and helpful examples, you can find lessons online. We aren't really set up to give you complete lessons.

Here are some starting points:

Once you have a clue, please show us your attempt, starting with just the first problem, and we can work with you.

Here is an example:

f(x) = x^2+3, g(x) = 1/x and h(x) = sin(x). Find f(x)(g(x) - 1/h(x)

f(x)(g(x) - 1/h(x) = (x^2+3)(1/x) - 1/sin(x)

For reference, this is the exercise in the original post:

Q2. Solve the following problems:

(a) Define functions [imath]f(x) = \sqrt{x+1}[/imath], [imath]g(x) = x^2 - 2[/imath], and [imath]h(x) = \arcsin(x^3)[/imath]. Find (i) the expressions of [imath]f(x)g(x) + h(x)[/imath] and [imath]\frac{f(x)}{h(x)}[/imath]; (ii) the expression for composite function [imath](g\circ h)(x)[/imath]; and (iii) the largest possible domain of the function [imath]y = \frac{\sqrt{x^2-1}}{x^2-4}[/imath]. Please simplify your solutions.

(b) Let function [imath]f(x) = \sqrt[3]{2x^3+5}[/imath] and [imath]Dom(f) = (0,\infty)[/imath]. Given that [imath]f(x)[/imath] is strictly increasing, find a formula for the inverse function [imath]f^{-1}[/imath].