Geometry question. How to calculate the minimum value of line segment BM.

Arismaotle

The question is in the attachment.
Quick translation(please forgive my poor English):

Point A(-2,2√3),Point B(1,0). P is a moving point along x-axis. Line QP is perpendicular to the line AP. M is the middle point of the line PQ. Please calculate the minimum value of line segment BM.

Attachments

• 777.jpg
    777.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 9

Point A(-2,2√3),Point B(1,0). P is a moving point along x-axis. Line QP is perpendicular to the line AP. M is the middle point of the line PQ. Please calculate the minimum value of line segment BM.
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

1651933888542.png

I don't think you mean that QP is perpendicular to AP; the picture says that QA is perpendicular to AP.

Here is the (rather poor) translation I get from one site:

1651941484095.png

I suspect that what this really means is "the perpendicular line to AP at A intersects the y-axis at point Q".

You put this under geometry, but it sounds like a place to use calculus. Is that available to you? I haven't tried solving this yet, before knowing what you can do or what you have done.

Last edited: