Geometry

Cristina1989

A condition for a superquadric who generates their own equation? (hint: think about the complex numbers)

A condition for a superquadric who generates their own equation? (hint: think about the complex numbers)
Do you have a question (or request for "help") or do you just want to impress us with your brilliance?
If it's the latter your intention might be clearer if your post was grammatically sound.

Do you have a question (or request for "help") or do you just want to impress us with your brilliance?
If it's the latter your intention might be clearer if your post was grammatically sound.
That is my question. And it is grammatically sound. That's what my teacher asked us in class. To find a superquadric which generates her own equation.

That is my question. And it is grammatically sound. That's what my teacher asked us in class. To find a superquadric which generates her own equation.
Dear Cristina,

Occasionally someone joins this forum with the sole intent of displaying their own "brilliance" by presenting a problem (to which they already have an answer) that requires a high degree of mathematical insight/knowledge as a challenge to the existing members to prove that they (said members) are as clever as the OP thinks s/he is!

The way your original post was formulated (especially the bit about giving us a "hint") led me to suspect that you might be doing exactly that but, given your Reply, it now appears that you are, indeed, a student who has been set a task by your "teacher" and you are simply seeking help in finding a solution to the problem stated. Nevertheless, If you had read and followed the guidelines you were directed to in the the very first response to your post (by
mmm4444bot) this would have been clear from the outset.

As for your Reply (to me), I'm afraid I have to dispute your assertion that your post was grammatically sound: your subject (a superquadric) is singular whilst the object of your verb (generates) is plural so it does not agree in number with either the subject or the verb; also the use of "who" is inappropriate here, rather it should be "that". Furthermore, what you wrote is more of a statement than a question (so doesn't really warrant a question mark at the end)! However, reading the remainder of your Reply, I note that you are still stating the problem grammatically incorrectly (you should have written "it" not "her") but this leads me to the inescapable conclusion that English is not your native language.

This being a Maths forum (not an English grammar one) members are usually quite happy to ignore any minor grammatical errors as long as the sense of anything written is clear; I have only taken the trouble to further highlight your grammatical errors in order to refute your suggestion that my original criticism of your post was wrong (when English is my native tongue).

Now that's cleared up, I have to refer you, once again, to the Guidelines Summary quoted above. The forum members here are happy to offer help and assistance with your maths problems but do not provide worked solutions (or complete answers) as a first response. You need to provide some example(s) of how you have attempted to solve your problem first and then you will be offered advice on how to proceed to a solution or a differing approach may be suggested to help you out; the clue is in the Forum name: freeMATHhelp (not freeMATHanswers).

Please post some of your own thoughts on how a solution to your "question" might be found (or attempted) and someone else may be willing to offer you further insight(s) on the problem. I say that because, unfortunately, "Superquadrics" is an area in which I, personally, have no appreciable expertise. My (very limited) understanding of them is that they are defined by the formula:

|x|r + |y|s + |z|t = 1

(and I see very limited scope as to how complex numbers might be introduced into that) but I'm sure someone in here will be able to comment positively on any work that you submit.

I hope that helps and wish you every success with your mathematical endeavours.

Last edited: