Help kids homework - moved from calculus

gdk

Thankyou for your replies, above is no help to me ? i was asking on behalf of my year 8 son, he has looked at your replies and has confused him even more.

back to the teacher for him.

Kind regards

Thankyou for your replies, above is no help to me ? i was asking on behalf of my year 8 son, he has looked at your replies and has confused him even more.

Kind regards
You posted this problem in CALCULUS forum (w/o any work shown) - thus the subsequent responses in replies assumed certain knowledge of algebraic manipulation. If the responses confused him - it is entirely due to your "lack of attention" regarding placement of the query. I am assuming you did not pay attention to the admonitions in :

READ BEFORE POSTING

Does your son know what [imath]2-\frac{1}{3}=~?[/imath]

You posted this problem in CALCULUS forum (w/o any work shown) - thus the subsequent responses in replies assumed certain knowledge of algebraic manipulation. If the responses confused him - it is entirely due to your "lack of attention" regarding placement of the query. I am assuming you did not pay attention to the admonitions in :

READ BEFORE POSTING
Wind your neck in

Kind regards
I find it hard to believe you were asking for your 8 year old son. What 8 year old is studying calculus? What 8-year old is asked to work with non-integer exponents?

I also notice that, despite getting four different replies, you were too lazy to ask a single follow-up question to even one of them. If you were asking on behalf of your son, your giving up without any effort must be a true inspiration to him.

I find it hard to believe you were asking for your 8 year old son. What 8 year old is studying calculus? What 8-year old is asked to work with non-integer exponents?

I also notice that, despite getting four different replies, you were too lazy to ask a single follow-up question to even one of them. If you were asking on behalf of your son, your giving up without any effort must be a true inspiration to him.
There could be misinterpretation here! . S/he said:

my year 8 son

-
s/he probably means 8th. year proficiency (In Europe (UK) GCSE level) for mathematics - not son's age. The son is probably 13 years old . Confusion is one of the unintended outcome of globalization..............

There could be misinterpretation here! . S/he said:

my year 8 son

-
s/he probably means 8th. year proficiency (In Europe (UK) GCSE level) for mathematics - not son's age. The son is probably 13 years old . Confusion is one of the unintended outcome of globalization..............
I agree with your interpretation. And within the UK we'd actually say, "my year 8 son".

However, I strongly agree with JeffM's other points :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:...

FYI: the following phrase is pretty rude (and mostly used in an aggressive context) in England...
Wind your neck in
...hopefully they'll respond a bit more humbly in the future if they receive more help ?

I agree with your interpretation. And within the UK we'd actually say, "my year 8 son".

However, I strongly agree with JeffM's other points :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:...

FYI: the following phrase is pretty rude (and mostly used in an aggressive context) in England...

...hopefully they'll respond a bit more humbly in the future if they receive more help ?
I am sure that you are correct about “year 8.” That makes sense in light of the mathematical question posed. In that case, the son is old enough to engage on his own in a dialogue that would help him learn something about exponents.

The lesson the son can learn from this is non-mathematical: being as rude as his father is very unlikely to result in useful assistance.